ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DO I NEED VISA FRANCE? EMBASSY NOT HELPFUL PLEASE HELP

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kimser29
Newly Registered

DO I NEED VISA FRANCE? EMBASSY NOT HELPFUL PLEASE HELP

Post by kimser29 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:15 pm

HELLO ALL,
I'm hoping someone knowledgable on here can please help with some info.
I'm a british citizen with a british passport and my husband is from bolivia with a bolivian passport but he has a british residency permit card which says "spouse".

The info on the french embassy website says:

The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if they are holding:

a valid travel document;
a valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national";
and if they are joining or travelling with the EU national.
However if you do not satisfy the above conditions, you will need to apply for a visa to travel to France (for instance if your residency is not explicit or if you are travelling to France for business).
Note that children and parents of EU Nationals still require visas to travel to France.

This is what's confusing me, his permit says "spouse" not "family member of EEA national", Im thinking this is the same right? he is my husband and Im british?

I emailed the french embassy and they sent me an automated reply with a link to their website, I also called 0207 073 1250 the only number listed as the embassy, an automated line which gave out a list of other numbers. I also called 09065508940 which was charged at £1 a min and again automated which basically repeated what was on the website.

It seems like so much trouble for a 3 day lastminute.com break to paris, we thought it would be nice for his birthday it will also be out two year anniversary but it seems so difficult to get anywhere.

Any help really appreciated, thanks very much :lol:

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: DO I NEED VISA FRANCE? EMBASSY NOT HELPFUL PLEASE HELP

Post by 86ti » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:34 pm

kimser29 wrote:This is what's confusing me, his permit says "spouse" not "family member of EEA national", Im thinking this is the same right?
Unfortunately not. Your husband will need a visa but you should get it free of charge.

kimser29
Newly Registered

Post by kimser29 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi 86ti,
looks like I wont be going then :( I was hoping to go in July 22nd but there are no visa appointments for JUNE/JULY available. Im really disappointed, I thought if we were married it would be ok :(

kimser29
Newly Registered

Post by kimser29 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:10 pm

I forgot to mention that we'd be travelling together, does that make any difference??

kimser29
Newly Registered

Post by kimser29 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:27 pm

Ive just tried calling for an appointment too and told nothing available and then was cut off. What can I do now???? anyone???? please

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:35 pm

kimser29 wrote:I forgot to mention that we'd be travelling together, does that make any difference??
Nope! No difference! He is a spouse under UK laws, and does not have an RC endorsed in his passport under EU laws. He needs to apply for a schengen visa, I'm afraid. With or without you, it still applies.

kimser29
Newly Registered

Post by kimser29 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi Rozen,
thank you for the reply, do you know how I can get one? I cant get an appointment online or by phone at the embassy, there are no appointments in JUNE/JULY and I wanted to go 22nd July, I googled and there are lots of agencies offering services but I feel unsure which ones are reputable, I dont feel very safe sending off all my personal info to a website I dont know, please if you know how I can get an appointment at the embassy or how to get the schengen please let me know as I dont want to cancel the plan for his birthday thanks

noble72uk
- thin ice -

Post by noble72uk » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:39 am

kimser29 wrote:Hi Rozen,
thank you for the reply, do you know how I can get one? I cant get an appointment online or by phone at the embassy, there are no appointments in JUNE/JULY and I wanted to go 22nd July, I googled and there are lots of agencies offering services but I feel unsure which ones are reputable, I dont feel very safe sending off all my personal info to a website I dont know, please if you know how I can get an appointment at the embassy or how to get the schengen please let me know as I dont want to cancel the plan for his birthday thanks
could I ask you where do you stay mean city? please provide more details and i will help you? I advise you to go to another schengen state and get a visa from them but they will ask for a booking hotel you can book one and cancel it and you don't have to go 1st to that state or even never go there

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:46 am

Kismer check your inbox i just sent you a PM
Magsi

noble72uk
- thin ice -

Post by noble72uk » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:58 am

magsi23 wrote:Kismer check your inbox i just sent you a PM
I have not received any message

tt

Post by tt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:45 pm

I wonder if kimser's query about travelling together with the spouse arises from previous comments relating to Article 6 of Directive 2004/38/EC, and threads like this (follows) http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=40390

kimser29
Newly Registered

Post by kimser29 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:51 pm

thanks for your help. I have managed at last to get an appointment for the enbassy so I am very pleased, I am going to go there and apply for the schengen visa. My only doubt is, if I will be allowed to go and do all the paperwork on my husbands behalf or if he has to go there himself. (I was hoping to surprise him with the 3day break) thanks! :D Magsi thanks