ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can i apply for ILR under Legacy?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sunning27
Newly Registered

can i apply for ILR under Legacy?

Post by sunning27 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:44 pm

I applied for asylum in 2001. I was granted Limited Leave to Remain with two of my children in 2006, 5 years refugee status. I just called a solicitor who advised me that I could apply under Legacy to get ILR. However, they said that I could not get the form and I have to pay about £3000 legal fee.

I do not want to pay legal fee. Is there any other way I could contact HO about Legacy to get my ILR. Or will it help if I speak to my MP who will help me write to HO?

I know I could wait till 2011, but I don't know if immigration will change again by then. If I can get it now, that will be better. Please advise me what to do. Thanks.

Thandia

Re: can i apply for ILR under Legacy?

Post by Thandia » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:50 pm

sunning27 wrote:I applied for asylum in 2001. I was granted Limited Leave to Remain with two of my children in 2006, 5 years refugee status. I just called a solicitor who advised me that I could apply under Legacy to get ILR. However, they said that I could not get the form and I have to pay about £3000 legal fee.

I do not want to pay legal fee. Is there any other way I could contact HO about Legacy to get my ILR. Or will it help if I speak to my MP who will help me write to HO?

I know I could wait till 2011, but I don't know if immigration will change again by then. If I can get it now, that will be better. Please advise me what to do. Thanks.

Legacy cases are unresolved cases where there was an asylum or human rights claim before March 2007. Your case was resolved by a grant of status in 2006, so this puts you outside the realm from being a legacy case. Additionally, you cannot apply to be a legacy case, either you are or you aren't.

sunning27
Newly Registered

Post by sunning27 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:30 pm

I spoke to a solicitor who said I can. I also checked on webiste that cases where individual has been granted some form of leave to remain or enter, but this is limited and may need to be renewed, cases where the individual has been granted 5 years refugee leave, which is my case.

So, I wonder how I can apply for ILR under Legacy.

Thandia

Post by Thandia » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:52 am

sunning27 wrote:I spoke to a solicitor who said I can. I also checked on webiste that cases where individual has been granted some form of leave to remain or enter, but this is limited and may need to be renewed, cases where the individual has been granted 5 years refugee leave, which is my case.

So, I wonder how I can apply for ILR under Legacy.
Then I guess you're going to have to pay this solicitor & in the end lose your money! The only other people who are legacy cases & had limited leave to remain are where there was a grant of DL, HP or ELR & were due for ILR anyway but are caught up in the legacy backlog. Those granted 5 years refugee status cannot become legacy cases because the first lot of people granted refugee status of 5 years only become eligible for ILR next year in August at which stage legacy cases will be left with just over 6 months to be completed & finalised!!!! In any case, a legacy grant is either ILR or refugee status. Others have even been granted 3 years DL to remain, so ILR is not a given. Additionally 40% of legacy cases have resulted in removals.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/asylum/oldercases/

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/asylum ... hichcases/

sunning27
Newly Registered

Post by sunning27 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:26 pm

Thanks for your advice. I called Home Office today and told them what solicitor advised me. They gave me an address in Croydon asking me to write to them to see if I come under Legacy case. The solicitor said even when 2011 comes when my status expires, they might not grant me ILR but another 5 years. It is good to use this chance to get ILR.

I am confused, should I write to Cryodon asking if I come under legacy case or should I wait till Jan 2011 to apply for ILR as mine expires in Apr 2011?