ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions regarding Passport application form

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jamesmad
Newly Registered

Questions regarding Passport application form

Post by jamesmad » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi,

I intend to apply for my first British passport next month (HSMP route). I have following questions:

- The application form mentions that the applicant should provide the passport they entered the UK on, excluding any cancelled passports.

I have had 4 passports. 1) expired passport before i entered UK
2) passport I entered UK on 3) This was issued after I renewed my second passport but my personal details were mis-printed :( 4) This is the current passport with ILR on it, which was issued to replace passport 3.

Should I provide all passports, or just the passport i entered UK on , or just the first and 3rd. The post office staff told me that I should not provide passport 2, but I am just worried that it does't confuse the case worker.

- The application form asks for details about grandparents if I was born outside of UK. My parents were also born outside of the UK and they are NOT british citizens. Do I need to provide their details (DOB, marriage date etc). It was very long back even for my parents, and they may not know the marriage date/DOB of grand parents. Has everybody supplied this detail in the past ?

- Maiden or previous names
I assume, we just provide my maiden name as it was on the citizenship application ? And we don't need to mention that it's not my previous name BUT maiden name.

Appreciate replies from others who know the process or have applied in similar circumstances.

Many thanks

jamesmad
Newly Registered

Post by jamesmad » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi all,
any information from the senior members is much appreciated. I am not even sure if the grand parents information is optional..

zkashan
Newly Registered

Post by zkashan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:41 pm

jamesmad wrote:Hi all,
any information from the senior members is much appreciated. I am not even sure if the grand parents information is optional..
I have the passport app in front of me. I don't see any section for grandparents from either of my parents side.

llNicell

Post by llNicell » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:23 pm

zkashan wrote:
jamesmad wrote:Hi all,
I have the passport app in front of me. I don't see any section for grandparents from either of my parents side.
Grandparent details are required in online applications. This is optional information. (except to fill only surname). pre-printed application form does not have provision for grandparents details.

treal20
Newly Registered

Re: Questions regarding Passport application form

Post by treal20 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:25 pm

jamesmad wrote:Hi,
- The application form mentions that the applicant should provide the passport they entered the UK on, excluding any cancelled passports.
Should I provide all passports, or just the passport i entered UK on , or just the first and 3rd. The post office staff told me that I should not provide passport 2, but I am just worried that it does't confuse the case worker.
I have the same question: Two passports - one I entered the UK with (expired) and the current one. Not sure whether in Section 3 of the application it should be 1 or 2 passports.
If 1, perhaps the expired passport should be sent as a supporting document.

Route: 5 years WP + 1 year ILR

Any advice would be much appreciated.

anjali_devi

Post by anjali_devi » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:59 pm

i recently got my passport and I used the check and send service. I had the same question. I had two passport. First one that was expired which i used to enter the country which had my ILR stamp and a current one.

I was asked to submit only my current unexpired passport. I did not have any problems with this. an FYI, both passports were indian.

treal20
Newly Registered

Post by treal20 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:20 pm

anjali_devi wrote:i recently got my passport and I used the check and send service. I had the same question. I had two passport. First one that was expired which i used to enter the country which had my ILR stamp and a current one.

I was asked to submit only my current unexpired passport. I did not have any problems with this. an FYI, both passports were indian.
Thank you very much, anjali_devi.
It seems that "cancelled" in the application form includes expired passports too, and they should not be submitted.

jamesmad
Newly Registered

Post by jamesmad » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:54 pm

llNicell, Treal 20 ,

I am looking at the postal application form:

At the bottom of the section 4, it reads

/QUOTE

If both parents named above were born after 31 December 1982 OR were born abroad, we will also need the full name, town, country, date of birth and data date of marriage of your grandparents (or details of your parents' claim to British Nationality). Write these details in section 8, or a seperate sheet of paper.
/UNQUOTE

I got this form from the post office, which is why I was asking this question, as my parents were born abroad.

Anjali, Thanks for this. Can you also confirm that you did't not provide the details of your current passport in the application form (Section 3) and you just wrote '1' in the box. I was bit concered as the form booklet mentions supporting documents as "the passport you entered the UK with and your HO certification of registration or naturalisation). When I checked with the woman at the post office counter, she told me that I should provide my expired passports :-). Appreciate if you can share your insight about the other question about grandparents as well.

Many thanks!

Filipinas

Sending 1st UK Passport application

Post by Filipinas » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:21 am

Hi! I am sorry if I dug this topic out of its chest. But this topic is quite close to what happened to me. I sent my 1stpassport application through check and send, and I originally wrote 3 passports -

1st - expired
2nd- expired but with my UK EC and original Visa
3rd- valid and with my ILR stamp

The Post officer was meaning to take only the 3rd but I said since the 2nd has been safely stuck (Stapled firmly), I would rather it be included. But the other one she just said I keep. I was actually keeping the passport away that I didn't notice if she made the adjustments on the form- I was thinking if she did, didn't it need any initials or countersigning? I just realised it now that I was reading through passport issues, now I am being paranoid rbut it's been posted and I was told if I need to follow up it should take 2 weeks before I do so.

Hope someone could share his/her experience.

Filipinas

thanks123
Newly Registered

Post by thanks123 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:57 pm

jamesmad wrote:llNicell, Treal 20 ,

I am looking at the postal application form:

At the bottom of the section 4, it reads

/QUOTE

If both parents named above were born after 31 December 1982 OR were born abroad, we will also need the full name, town, country, date of birth and data date of marriage of your grandparents (or details of your parents' claim to British Nationality). Write these details in section 8, or a seperate sheet of paper.
/UNQUOTE

I got this form from the post office, which is why I was asking this question, as my parents were born abroad.

Anjali, Thanks for this. Can you also confirm that you did't not provide the details of your current passport in the application form (Section 3) and you just wrote '1' in the box. I was bit concered as the form booklet mentions supporting documents as "the passport you entered the UK with and your HO certification of registration or naturalisation). When I checked with the woman at the post office counter, she told me that I should provide my expired passports :-). Appreciate if you can share your insight about the other question about grandparents as well.

Many thanks!
Hi James,

This is regarding section even I have a expired passport which one is before coming to UK. Please tell us did you submit the same.

Many Thanks,

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:09 am

Did you notice that the last post before yours is more than 3 years old?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

thanks123
Newly Registered

Post by thanks123 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:00 am

sushdmehta wrote:Did you notice that the last post before yours is more than 3 years old?
Sorry Sushd I didnt notice. Thanks for letting me know.