ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming Child Benefit no recourse to Public funds

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vickivic
Newly Registered

Claiming Child Benefit no recourse to Public funds

Post by vickivic » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi
can anyone please advise on my query,

MY Husband who is british is currently receiving Child benefit for my son who is on two year visa with no recourse to public funds and also receives child benefit for our daughter who is british, I am due to send off my application for Indefinite Leave to Remain will this affect my application?

umchugga
Newly Registered

Post by umchugga » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi,
It will not effect your application for ILR.
I am a british national and I claim Child benefit and Child tax credit for my Russian step son. Both he and my wife have visas stamped with 'No recourse to public funds'

If you read the first topic in this section of the forum you will see that your husband has the right to claim these benefits.

I also emailed the HO and queried this and had a reply from them confirming that I was able to claim benefit and this would not effect my wifes and stepsons ILR application.

Advice from bitter experience is that you will need to post the application rather than expect to be able to do it in a day at one of their centres. We were turned away as the document checker did not fully understand the benefit ruling.

We are awaiting my wifes ILR now having posted the application.

all the best.

vickivic
Newly Registered

Post by vickivic » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:23 pm

thanks i just wanted to be reassured as i was so worried about this public fund rule.
but i am confused as to why they did not process your application in the office?even though the checker did ask their manager about this they should have been advised about the public fund rule.
I wish you all the best thank you for responding.

angie36

Post by angie36 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:06 pm

hi,

My husband will be coming from India with my step children, am i right in saying that i can claim working tax credits and Child benefits for them as i work full time, i am a Britsh Citizen.

Can i just ask if you applied for a joint claim.

I would appreciate it if someone can confirm if this is correct,

many thanks