ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR on 10 Year Long Term

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fais79

ILR on 10 Year Long Term

Post by fais79 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Hello Everyone,

I first entered UK on 28th August 1999 on a student visa. I did my BS.c with Industrial Placement followed by MS.c which resulted in 5 years in UK. Straight after my MS.c I got 5 Year Work Permit expiring in March 2010 but on 28 August 2009 it will be exactly 10 years me lawfully residing in UK.

I have calculated all the dates I have been out of UK in last 10 years and it amounts to: 98 days.

I have three questions:

1. Do I qualify for ILR on 10 year basis?
2. When should I file an application for ILR?
3. Do I have to give Life in UK test even though I have done GCSEs and ALevels from UK?

Many Thanks.

Shrimathi
Newly Registered

ILR under 10 Year

Post by Shrimathi » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Dear fais79
If you have 10 years of contnious visas/LTR without gaps/breach of immigration rules, you should be eligible for ILR, provided you meet other criteria as laid down in IDI for long residence updated April 2009. Regarding life in UK requirement, check the alternatives mentioned on UKBA website (If in doubt, it is easier to take life in UK test which is easier and cheaper than getting rejected on the basis of this simple requirement not being met and loosing huge HO fees).
You can apply 28 days before the qualifying period is met i.e. 1st August 2009. Make sure you do not have issues which automatically leads to refusal under general refusal criteria as per immigration rules (such as criminal offenses etc, see UKBA website law and policy).
Best wishes and goodluck.
Shrimathi

fais79

Re: ILR on 10 Years basis

Post by fais79 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:47 pm

Dear Shrimathi,

Thank you very much for your detailed response. I'll take your advise and go for the Life in UK test.

One last thing i.e. after I have got my ILR in August 09 how long will I have to wait to obtain British Passport?

Thanks Again.

Shrimathi
Newly Registered

ILR on 10 year long term

Post by Shrimathi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:06 am

Dear fais79
After ILR, you are eligible to apply for naturalisation (british citizenship) in at the end of 12 months from date of ILR as per current rules (this may change in future, new citizenship bill in progress in UK parliment whcih may be implimented in future!). Please note british pasport is a travel document whcih UK citizens can apply when they get citizenship.
Wish you good luck
Shrimathi

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:41 am

Links added to Shrimathi's posts.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:31 pm

Just to confirm you would need to take Life in UK test, as Shrimathi said its very straight forward, it took me 4 minutes to do mine.
Magsi