ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP vs existing UK Work Permit :shock:

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pashka
Newly Registered

HSMP vs existing UK Work Permit :shock:

Post by pashka » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:31 pm

Hello all.

Everyone talks here about advantages of HSMP, how about its disadvantages?

I am already in the UK for 2 years on a work permit that is tied to my current employer. Have a good prospect of moving into a different job with a different employer. The new employer couldnt get a new work permit for me as the vacancy was not advertised nation-wide.

Now I have a choice - to get HSMP and new job, or to stay in my current role. At the moment I have 2 years to ILR and my wife is on a dependant's visa. If I get HSMP, do I keep 2 year bonus and will my wife still be able to work with any employer?

Cheers

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Re: HSMP vs existing UK Work Permit :shock:

Post by Cosmopol » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:34 pm

pashka wrote:If I get HSMP, do I keep 2 year bonus and will my wife still be able to work with any employer?
Yes, time spent in the UK on WP will aggregate with time spent on HSMP (as long as the continuity of status is not broken), and yes, your wife would still be able to work for anyone.

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:51 pm

A disadvantage would be that HSMP will initially be given for 12 months (vs. perhaps a current WP + EC that are valid for more than that). Of course, if you already have a job offer or think you won't have difficulties in being economically active, this is only a minor issue.

Advantage though is that if you lose a job or want to move to a different one, there would be less hassle (basically, more freedom).

Check this thread out (http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=391), it has some more relevant info.

Best of luck!

pashka
Newly Registered

Re: HSMP vs existing UK Work Permit :shock:

Post by pashka » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:52 pm

Cosmopol wrote:Yes, time spent in the UK on WP will aggregate with time spent on HSMP (as long as the continuity of status is not broken), and yes, your wife would still be able to work for anyone.
Thanks a bunch. The topic's closed.