ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa for Child born abroad (Parents have ILR)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

neo__x

Visa for Child born abroad (Parents have ILR)

Post by neo__x » Sun May 29, 2005 4:35 pm

Hi,

My wife is expecting a baby in a few months - we recently got our ILR and now my wife want's to have the baby in our native country. Can anyone help me with the following queries :

1. I know that if the child is born here, he/she will automatically be of british nationality. If the child is born abroad, would I have to sponsor a visa for the baby (e.g. ILR dependant) when they want to come back and would it be a really bothersome/lenghty process to get it ?

2. If my wife stays abroad, for lets say 3 months in excess , would her ILR visa become void ? What would happen when she comes back with the child and we want to apply for citizenship after an year? I know I will not have any problems as I will stay here for the rest of the duration (some short visits abroad to meet my family obviously)... but will there be some complications for my wife/child ?

Appreciate any help - thanks

pedro_soto
Newly Registered

Post by pedro_soto » Sun May 29, 2005 5:30 pm

1. I know that if the child is born here, he/she will automatically be of british nationality
I think that is wrong, unless you are british, the child will keep the mothers nationality by default.

neo__x

Post by neo__x » Sun May 29, 2005 5:32 pm

pedro_soto wrote:
1. I know that if the child is born here, he/she will automatically be of british nationality
I think that is wrong, unless you are british, the child will keep the mothers nationality by default.
Don't know , I've been told if even one of the parent's holds ILR then the child born here will be british - unless that's wrong :shock:

Khurram

Post by Khurram » Tue May 31, 2005 9:35 am

Source : Note 5 on IND's BN1 Guidance Notes
Don't know , I've been told if even one of the parent's holds ILR then the child born here will be british - unless that's wrong
No, you are absolutely right about this bit.

Regards