ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help me check my graduation letter! Thanks

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

psw_yy
Newly Registered

Help me check my graduation letter! Thanks

Post by psw_yy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:31 am

Dear everyone:

I received my graduation letter last week. I am not sure whether it is ok for application. Please help me check this graduation letter. Is it ok for PSW? Do I need to do any more revisions?

Thanks so much.
=================================
To Whom it May Concern:

Re: Mr **

Date of Birth: **
Nationality: **
Home Address: **

I am writing to confirm that Mr. ** was registered as a full-time postgraduate student in the Department of Engineering Science, University of **, from January 2005, working towards the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil). Mr. ** submitted his DPhil thesis for examination in May 2008 and completed his viva examination in January 2009.

Mr ** has passed, and been awarded, the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the Department Engineering Science in January 2009. I can confirm that he has indicated that he will attend the formal degree ceremony, which is scheduled for 7th November 2009.

Yours faithfully,

** (signed by Administrator)
=====================================

HO.victim
Newly Registered

Re: Help me check my graduation letter! Thanks

Post by HO.victim » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:04 am

psw_yy wrote:Dear everyone:

I received my graduation letter last week. I am not sure whether it is ok for application. Please help me check this graduation letter. Is it ok for PSW? Do I need to do any more revisions?

Thanks so much.
To Whom it May Concern:

I am writing to confirm that Mr. ** was registered as a full-time postgraduate student in the Department of Engineering Science, University of **, from January 2005, working towards the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil). Mr. ** submitted his DPhil thesis for examination in May 2008 and completed his viva examination in January 2009.

Mr ** has passed, and been awarded, the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the Department Engineering Science in January 2009. I can confirm that he has indicated that he will attend the formal degree ceremony, which is scheduled for 7th November 2009.

Yours faithfully,

As far as my knowledge is concern this is absolutely fine my friend. If the university confirms all this when HO will contact them then u will be done. hope other members agree with me.

psw_yy
Newly Registered

Post by psw_yy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:58 am

my concern is that there is no exact date for start and end. The exact date appears only for the formal ceremony. Will it be a serious problem? Do I need to claim another letter from univ?

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:27 am

An Example:

To whom it may concern

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is to confirm that Mrs. xxxx was enrolled on a research degree programme leading to the qualification of PhD at the University of xxxxx At the end of the examination process she has been successfully awarded the degree of M.Phil (one of the outcomes of PhD examination). The followings are the details of the award:

1. Student’s name: Mrs. xxxxx

2. Title of the qualification: M.Phil (Master of Philosophy)

3. Start and end date of the student’s period of study: 2nd October xxxx- 22nd Januaryxxx

4. Date of award: 22nd January xxx

5. Details of the awarding body: University of xxxxx

I can confirm that the the certificate of award will be issued in due course. As she has successfully completed the degree of M.Phil she is expected to attend the graduation ceremony to be held inxxxx.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further queries.

Yours faithfully,

Professor xxxxxx

psw -yy,

The important line missing in your letter and many people get refused ; is that' the certificate of award will be issued in due course'. Do think HO takes this letter not seriusly. If you see the guidlines you will find specifically what needs to be in the letter. If anything missing they will simply refuse even it is uni letter. Just a caution!

Also, the letter has to be in the letterhead of Uni and also don't forget to put the Uni stamp on the letter. HO is very particular about everything. they will find every possible reason to refuse it. This is my experience from the bizzare exp people had before.

Also put the exact date of award, not just Jan 09. This seems silly but not to HO. The reason I am saying, if it gets refused , then the subsequent appeal process is very annoying, Therefore take reasonable step to avoid that.

sadhu

Post by sadhu » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:48 am

psw_yy wrote:Dear everyone:

Thanks so much.
To Whom it May Concern:

Yours faithfully,

To my knowledge, you must use the standard format of the psw letter which has been expounded in the psw guidance.If you phone the ukba and ask for advice, I am quite sure they will answer yes your application will be accepted but still your caseworker may refuse your visa.The obvious reason is that ukba's staff do not know anything about psw guidance.Surprisingly enough, different employees (ukba) render different answers and consequently, you will be perplexed completely.

Therefore, I would like to request you please read the guidance carefully, request your university to issue a letter according to the guidelines and as a result, you will achieve success in psw application.

koolbone

Post by koolbone » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:22 am

The example letter given by RAJ is a much better one than the one you were given. RAJ's letter has all the required information like exact start and end dates of the course, the degree award date, awarding body and confirmation that the certificate will be issued in due course.
Refusals are certain if any of this information is missing. Trust me, I'm talking from experience here.
So, please do get an up-to-date letter with the required information to avoid a refusal and the consequent nerve-racking appeal.
All the best

tuhadda_fuffar

Post by tuhadda_fuffar » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:39 am

psw_yy wrote: he will attend the formal degree ceremony, which is scheduled for 7th November 2009.

This part of the letter will be confusing for the case worker. The thing is you should have your Original certificate of award, at the time of application, and send it with other documents. In this case I guess you will receive it on 7th of November. If you still have visa till that time......please wait and apply after the ceremony or else request a carefully drafted letter from you university and apply before your visa expires.
Read the PSW guidance carefully!!

psw_yy
Newly Registered

Post by psw_yy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:19 am

tuhadda_fuffar wrote:
psw_yy wrote: he will attend the formal degree ceremony, which is scheduled for 7th November 2009.

This part of the letter will be confusing for the case worker. The thing is you should have your Original certificate of award, at the time of application, and send it with other documents. In this case I guess you will receive it on 7th of November. If you still have visa till that time......please wait and apply after the ceremony or else request a carefully drafted letter from you university and apply before your visa expires.
Read the PSW guidance carefully!!
If you cannot provide original certificate, the letter from univ. works as well.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:52 am

psw,

If you have send you application after you received your certificate and didn't provide it then it wil be refused. Therefore if you apply before you received your certificate then my draft letter will do. If you follow my draft I can guarantee it will not be refused since it is clear. Any confusion by the caseworker, then it will be refused, HO does not give a damn about your effort. They will put you through appeal process. Read others exp about PSW.