ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit for France

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bobbert
Newly Registered

EEA Family Permit for France

Post by bobbert » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:06 pm

Dear All,

I hope someone may have some info on the following as I'm having difficulty finding detailed information in english or in french...

I'm English, I've been working and living in France for nearly 3 years.
My girlfriend is Mexican, has been studying in france for 2 years but student visa is now expired.

Last time we travelled to England (from where she was flying back to Mexico) on the eurostar, and that same information was basically given to the UK passport control, they told us that we should look into getting an EEA Family Permit for which it is sufficient to live together. We would be able to prove that we've lived together for 1 year.

Does anybody know how the process works in France (according to the passport control officer it's easier than it would be in the UK...)?

- if she enters france on a tourist visa, could we then apply?

thanks for any help

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:36 pm

The EEA Family Permit is a UK invention, and in Schengen countries, such as France, a visitor visa is sufficient to get into the country. Except I don't think that Mexicans need a visa to enter "Schengen-land".

Having got into France, then the real problem arises. The two of you are unmarried, and have only been together for one year. The EU Directive talks about a couple being in a "durable relationship" but leaves it up to Member States to define the meaning of that expression. I know that the UK defines it in the same way as it does for an unmarried couple applying under UK immigration law ..... minimum of two years together .... but I have no idea of what France treats as a "durable relationship".

Maybe you could use your knowledge of the French language and search for how France defines

Here is a link to the Directive, in French .... click here .... and in Article 3.2(b) you will see the expression :-
le partenaire avec lequel le citoyen de l'Union a une relation durable, dûment attestée.
You need to know how France defines " une relation durable"! If you find out, please post.

It would be oh so different if the two of you were married!
John