ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

naturalisation and apply british passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

newlife2009

naturalisation and apply british passport

Post by newlife2009 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi ,

Can anyone help to answer my question about the maiden name and married name on naturalisation and apply british passport ?

HKSAR passport - maiden name (I got married in UK but I didn't change the married name on my HKSAR passport, It is because if i want to change name, I need to go back to HK and it needs around 1 month to process, I don't have enough time to stay in HK)

UK foreign national ID card (for 2 years spouse visa) - maiden name (refer to my HKSAR)

ILR application - as I know that it will refer 2 years spouse visa - maiden name

When apply naturalisation - the certificate aslo refer the ILR applicaton - maiden name

So, when I can change to my married name ??

justice_will_reign
Member of Standing

Re: naturalisation and apply british passport

Post by justice_will_reign » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:31 pm

newlife2009 wrote:Hi ,

Can anyone help to answer my question about the maiden name and married name on naturalisation and apply british passport ?

HKSAR passport - maiden name (I got married in UK but I didn't change the married name on my HKSAR passport, It is because if i want to change name, I need to go back to HK and it needs around 1 month to process, I don't have enough time to stay in HK)

UK foreign national ID card (for 2 years spouse visa) - maiden name (refer to my HKSAR)

ILR application - as I know that it will refer 2 years spouse visa - maiden name

When apply naturalisation - the certificate aslo refer the ILR applicaton - maiden name

So, when I can change to my married name ??
Have you considered using http://www.ukdps.co.uk/ to change the name maybe that would safe you the stress and time of going to HK? I have a friend with a similar experience and she used them and it was accepted in UK as a valid change of name proof. Obviously, I don't know if this is accepted a legal in HK.

newlife2009

Post by newlife2009 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:48 am

Thanks for your suggestion

Acturally, I had changed my birth name before (I was in Hong Kong and used HK deed poll). then got married in UK. I went to IPS to renew the other passport, But, they said that my deed poll issued in Hong Kong format was incorrect. So, I need to get the new deed poll again in the UK.(refer to my maiden name)

As I know, if I want to change the Hong Kong passport details, I MUST change the relative document first, it is why they need around 1 month process time.

Can I just change my name to married name by using UK deed poll service (without amend my own country passport)?
(I am afriad it doesn't work ,because the Home Office will follow my passport name when issue visa, am I right?)

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:38 am

Where is your marriage contract? You can change you surname using your marriage contract.

newlife2009

Post by newlife2009 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:51 am

Where is your marriage contract? You can change you surname using your marriage contract.

Do you means marriage certificate??

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Ah yes. Marriage certificate or contract. You can use that to change your surname to your husband.

newlife2009

Post by newlife2009 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:23 pm

Ah yes. Marriage certificate or contract. You can use that to change your surname to your husband.

As I knows, some company (such as bank) ,they do accept passport (maiden name) + marrige certificate (husband surname) for openning account/change name.

When I apply FLR (M) ,I used my passport (maiden name) + marriage certificate (husband surname) for my application. BUT, I finally got my spuose visa with my maiden name (they said they follow my passport information).

For my next applicatoin, I believe that it may have the same as above.

hmm

Post by hmm » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:40 pm

would it be a problem if I have the utility bills address as 'Mrs husband name' and my passport, employment and bank are still in 'Miss my old surname' ??
we, both me and my husband, are going to sponsor someone soon and wondering whether BHC will ask any questions about it.
any body experience it?

when we moved into a new property after the wedding we put all the utilities bills in both of name so address to 'Mr and Mrs......' All the documents that's address to just me is still 'Miss....'

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Next time when you apply for passport or naturalization you fill up the application with your husband's surname, don't use yours. Then include your marriage certificate so that they know why you change your surname, and that is because you are now married.

newlife2009

Post by newlife2009 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi parvus1202,

Thanks for your suggestion.

On my FLR application at Apr/09, the home office lady said that I MUST follow my passport surname (maiden name) even I attached my marrige certificate .That's mean I have NO CHOICE to use my married name except amend my passport........

newlife2009

Post by newlife2009 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:26 pm

To Everyone,

Does anybody have experience on change name between Maiden name and Married name??

I know it's too early to think about the name change on SET (M)/naturalisation/british passport. but, the important things is ,I really don't know how to do it. If finally, all visa application need to follow passport, I may need to go back to Hong Kong to change name. (Process time around 1 month)

If the spouse visa/ SET (M)/naturalisation/british passport all under my maiden name, can I just change my husband surname after getting the british passport??

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:32 am

You should have replaced your old passport with your married name before you applied for FLR. Now for naturalization it does not matter, they will ask you what name you want to put on your naturalization certificate, just put your married name then attach your documents. Use NCS.

newlife2009

Post by newlife2009 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi Parvus,

That's really good news for the naturalization certificate.

How about the application for SET (M)? Is it the same as the application of FLR (M) ,my passport (maiden name) + marriage certificate (husband surname) and will get the ILR with my MAIDEN name ? OR I will get ILR with married name ??

How about the british passport? Is it follow the naturalization certificate name? OR it will use my passport (maiden name) + marriage certificate (husband surname) and will get the british passport with my MAIDEN name , then I will need to go to IPS centre to change the british passport to my married name?