ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it worth getting marriage visa then changing to spouse vi

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

barnoonan
Newly Registered

Is it worth getting marriage visa then changing to spouse vi

Post by barnoonan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:48 pm

HI

My fiancee and I were planning on getting married in the UK this Sept (she is from SAfrica and I am from UK). We were going to apply for a marriage visa and get the legal side done in UK but we are planning on getting properly married (i.e. ceremony etc) in South Africa next jan.

The plan was then to reapply for a settlement/married partner visa and move to UK.

The reason for doing the marriage in the UK first was to "start the clock" on the marriage as soon as possible so that we she can achieve permanent residency etc in UK and finally get the passport. If we wait until Jan then that is 4 months which might count.

Is this going to speed the process in getting permanent residency at all or is it a waste of time and should we just get married in South Africa once :)

Thanks in advance

Pyromaniac

Post by Pyromaniac » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 pm

You can only get married once I think !

If you marry in the UK - registry office for example then your fiencee can apply the next day if you wish for FLR(m) - which will start the (at present 2 year) clock for the ILR journey. But you will have to pay for the fiencee visa and also the FLR(m) visa after that.

If you marry in SA then she needs to get a Spouse visa from there, and can come over as your wife (if granted) - missing out paying for one of the visas. I believe in case the clock for ILR starts when she is admitted to the UK.

If you go to the BIA website you can download the form and instructions to show what is required for FLR.

Dont take my words as fact though - someone more knowledgable than me who knows what they are talking about might tell me I am wrong !

barnoonan
Newly Registered

Post by barnoonan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:00 am

Well one would be legal one would be religious. The legal one done in the UK.

Thanks. So it is possible to reapply for a settlement visa as soon as married? While still in the UK?