ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship and validity of passport.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Citizenship and validity of passport.

Post by juliajules1979 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:16 pm

When my husband becomes eligible for Citizenship on 18th February 2010, his Iranian passport will expire two months later on 10th April, 2010. Will he have to renew his Iranian passport or will there be no problem with applying for citizenship.

Many thanks.

kiwi_in_the_uk

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:04 pm

That really depends on your application - is there any reason to suspect he might not be successful?

You should bear in mind that to get a UK passport you have to go through two applications, and both take time:

1. It takes up to 6 months, I believe, for the Home Office to approve citizenship applications, and
2. applying for a passport is a separate process with its own waiting timeframes, AFTER the citizenship application.

So, if you need a passport to go overseas, it might be a good idea to extend the Iranian one. If you don't need to, you might be happy to wait it out.

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:29 pm

Hiya

Thank so much for your reply. So if we have no travel plans, it will be fine to submit his passport even though it will expire during the time that his citizenship is being processed?They wont refuse his application because his passport will be out of date during the consideration of the application?

Thankyou.

kiwi_in_the_uk

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:52 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's fine.

I would think that the passport only needs to be current if you want to travel on it. The Home Office should only need the passport to check that your husband has had ILR for long enough, and the length of his absences from the country, and his date of first entry, etc. They can do that whether or not the passport is current.

My reasoning is that citizenship is about status, whereas passports are about travel - which is why they are separate applications. We (immigrants) often tie them together in our minds, but of course that's not necessarily so.

To make sure, I'd suggest that you call or email the Home Office - they should be able to tell you.

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:12 pm

Hiya

Thanks so muchfor your help.

Would you know the home office's email address?

Thanks.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:17 pm

juliajules1979 wrote:Hiya

Would you know the home office's email address?
ukbanationalityenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:18 pm

You don't need a passport to become naturalised as a British citizen. Many applicants, such as refugees and stateless persons, cannot get one.

But it can be more awkward to prove residence, if you do not have one.

I would suggest not renewing Iranian passport until after applying for naturalisation, and if you must do so, keep good (certified) copies of any immigration/visa stamps as it may get lost.

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks so much for your advice.

Can you tell me, after naturalisation is there a time frame on when a British passport can be applied for, or can it be done as soon as citizenship is obtained?

Would my husband's passport need to be valid to apply for a British Passport?

Thanks again.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:41 pm

juliajules1979 wrote:Thanks so much for your advice.

Can you tell me, after naturalisation is there a time frame on when a British passport can be applied for, or can it be done as soon as citizenship is obtained?
No time limit after naturalisation.
Would my husband's passport need to be valid to apply for a British Passport?
No.

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks so much JAJ.

Your advice has put my mind at rest.

Cheers.

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Hiya

Sorry again. Casa as long as my husband's passport is valid the date of his citizenship application, it dosent matter that it will expire 2 months later. I am correct in thinking that what is important is the fact that it is valid on the anniversary of his 3 years in the UK and that the date of the application is on that 3 years date.

The fact that it expires after two months is not relevant as it is valid on the date when citizenship is applied for? Is that a correct presumption?

Thanks so much again.

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Just our of curiosity, I think Iran allows dual citizenship. So why don’t you retain both?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:08 am

HSMP2008_JANUARY wrote:Just our of curiosity, I think Iran allows dual citizenship. So why don’t you retain both?

He might not want to keep Iranian citizenship, but may have no choice in the matter.

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:58 am

Hiya

Thanks for your replies. There is no problem with him having dual nationality.

I just wanted to confirm that on the 18th Feb, his passport will be valid and he will submit an application for naturalisation. However on the 10th April, 2 months after, his Iranian passport will expire. If the application for naturalisation takes six months, I didnt want the home office to turn round and refuse his application, because his passport is not valid. Although it was valid on the date that he submitted his application. I think according to your previous replies that this will be ok and will not cause a problem.

Thanks very much again.