ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of Abode

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

spatel07

Right of Abode

Post by spatel07 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:57 pm

Hello!

I recently naturalised as a British Citizen and would like to apply for the Right Of Abode. I am in no hurry to apply for a British passport as of yet as I will be eligible to apply for one in future without any difficulty(or am I wrong?). I would be grateful if anyone could clarify the questions below:

1. Will I still retain my Indefinite leave to remain stamp once ROA is issued?
2. Does the ROA have any time limits such as the ILR as to how long I can stay outside the country?

Thanks in advance.

redshrek
Newly Registered

Re: Right of Abode

Post by redshrek » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:48 pm

spatel07 wrote:Hello!

I recently naturalised as a British Citizen and would like to apply for the Right Of Abode. I am in no hurry to apply for a British passport as of yet as I will be eligible to apply for one in future without any difficulty(or am I wrong?). I would be grateful if anyone could clarify the questions below:

1. Will I still retain my Indefinite leave to remain stamp once ROA is issued?
2. Does the ROA have any time limits such as the ILR as to how long I can stay outside the country?

Thanks in advance.
Your ILR will be invalid.

Nope there is no time limit on how long you stay outside country.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:30 am

Right of Abode supersedes ILR.

You may stay out of the UK as long as you like.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

newperson

Post by newperson » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:59 am

vinny wrote:Right of Abode supersedes ILR.

You may stay out of the UK as long as you like.
This part from Vinny's link is crucial:
The certificate is placed in a valid passport and expires when the passport expires. To have a certificate in your new passport, you must apply for one again.
So while your status as as Right of Abode holder is permanent (unless you personally decide to renounce British citizenship or the Gov't decides that you've done something so heinous that they take it away from you), your proof of that status isn't.

So when your passport expires, you will need to get a new certificate of entitlement to right of abode to go with it. You will not be able just to travel with your old and new passports.

And just so you know, at £215 for the certificate of entitlement, that current price is more than twice the cost of a UK passport itself.