ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Covered by NHS when I am travelling? Am I still a resident?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

giblet
United States of America

Covered by NHS when I am travelling? Am I still a resident?

Post by giblet » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm on a Tier 1 visa that is good until 2012. The visa in my passport says "residence permit". I'm currently employed, but planning on quitting my job and going travelling for 6-12 months and then returning to the UK (I will leave all of my possessions in the UK and can have an address here if necessary).

During the time I am away travelling, am I still considered a UK resident and covered by the NHS? Ie. if I have an emergency and am repatriated to the UK, will the NHS give me care?

I have no idea how to figure this out or where to look for more information. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

twinkletwinkle
Newly Registered

Re: Covered by NHS when I am travelling? Am I still a reside

Post by twinkletwinkle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:53 pm

giblet wrote:I'm on a Tier 1 visa that is good until 2012. The visa in my passport says "residence permit". I'm currently employed, but planning on quitting my job and going travelling for 6-12 months and then returning to the UK (I will leave all of my possessions in the UK and can have an address here if necessary).

During the time I am away travelling, am I still considered a UK resident and covered by the NHS? Ie. if I have an emergency and am repatriated to the UK, will the NHS give me care?

I have no idea how to figure this out or where to look for more information. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
You will be covered by NHS when you come back to UK. However I hope you know that you will not be eligibe for ILR later as you will have a continuous stay outside UK for more than 90 days. Although it is not related to your question, but you should know as I did this mistake.

giblet
United States of America

Post by giblet » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks, I'm not worried about ILR. I can't find any documentation about NHS coverage--I think for major hospital care you need to live in the country for the 12 months preceding?