ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

'Security Clearance' clause in job advert

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AshwathCR

'Security Clearance' clause in job advert

Post by AshwathCR » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:25 am

Hello Seniors,

For some of the Govt jobs which I came across in various job sites, they mention that :

"Exciting opportunities for *** applications developers have arisen with our client in ***, a world leading defence IT consultancy. The successful candidates will be required to be security cleared to SC level (prior to appointment) "

What does this mean? ... Do we need to get this done on our own or is it something which will be taken care by the company ?

Many thanks in advance for your response on this ...

Kind Regards,
Ashwath

nksg

Re: 'Security Clearance' clause in job advert

Post by nksg » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:41 am

To what i know ideally SC is done by the country but the irony is they look for 5 years of history.. so if you are in UK less than 5 years.. i am afraid you are not eligible (PS:Others please correct me if i am wrong.)
AshwathCR wrote:Hello Seniors,

For some of the Govt jobs which I came across in various job sites, they mention that :

"Exciting opportunities for *** applications developers have arisen with our client in ***, a world leading defence IT consultancy. The successful candidates will be required to be security cleared to SC level (prior to appointment) "

What does this mean? ... Do we need to get this done on our own or is it something which will be taken care by the company ?

Kind Regards,
Ashwath

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:45 am

Kind Regards,
Ashwath
Security Cleared means you can work on the project which require high level of confidentiality and information should not be leaked into public domain. Project such as in military,health care etc are few examples. SC can be done only by your company /employer. You cannot apply for it yourself.

AshwathCR

Post by AshwathCR » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:11 pm

SC can be done only by your company /employer. You cannot apply for it yourself
Thanks for the clarification Chethan ...

But, some times they also mention that 'you should be SC Cleared already' or 'willing to undergo Security Clearance' ... hence I aksed for the clarification.

To what i know ideally SC is done by the country but the irony is they look for 5 years of history.. so if you are in UK less than 5 years.. i am afraid you are not eligible (PS:Others please correct me if i am wrong.)
So, if they are going look for 5 yrs of history, then there is no chance for the new comers to even apply for it ... :( ... lot of constraints ...

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:14 pm

AshwathCR wrote: But, some times they also mention that 'you should be SC Cleared already' or 'willing to undergo Security Clearance' ... hence I aksed for the clarification.
Highlight above clarifies it. If you are not SC cleared then employer will apply for your SC after sucessfull selection.

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:20 pm

Kind Regards,
Ashwath
This is usually done by your company. And there are different levels of Security clearance. For the very basic level of clearance you need to be a resident of this country for 3 years.

For the advanced levels, you need atleast 5 years of residence. And it is only your company that can get it done for you.

I myself was in this spot but my company couldnt get it done for me since I havent been in this country for 3 yrs !! :)

FC

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:34 pm

In addition to what above members have replied, there are some levels of Security Clearance where non EU citizens cannot even be eligible. For example, if you try to apply for a job with BAE you need be a EU citizen as well as a UK resident, and then obtain the SC on top of that.