ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Teacher Qualification

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kabuki
United States of America

Teacher Qualification

Post by kabuki » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:36 pm

I'd like to become a qualified teacher in the UK. I have a BA in English Literature. I also have significant course work in Maths and Science as I started college as a Chemistry major. I would be interested in teaching at the primary level or Maths or Science at the secondary level.

I'm from the US (currently living in Ireland) and hold no teacher qualification. Is it possible to go to the UK to train as a qualified teacher? If so, what are the steps required? Can I teach as an unqualified teacher while working towards qualification?

Any help will be much appreciated. Cheers.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:33 pm

You would need PGCE qualification to teach in schools in UK, here is the link http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit.aspx
Magsi

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:56 pm

Cheers. I've been looking at that, but I still have so many questions.

I have a BA in English, but I took several maths and science courses in college as well. I'm interested in switching to Maths for secondary education. However, when looking into the 6-month enhancement course at one of the universities, it states that you have to be eligible for TDA funding, and as I'm not an EU national, I'm not eligible.

Is there any chance of being able to do that enhancement course. If there's such a shortage of maths teachers, why would I not be able to do this?

Going back to the the States to qualify isn't really an option (I'd still have to qualify in the UK), as I currently reside in Ireland (1.5 years) with my partner who is Dutch. However, we aren't married or in a civil-partnership, so I have to rely on other immigration routes. She isn't able to move to the States. I love living in Europe and really want to teach. It's not possible in Ireland.

Any help will be much appreciated. Cheers.