ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Native English speakers who have been approved -Please Reply

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mdeleo01
Newly Registered

Native English speakers who have been approved -Please Reply

Post by mdeleo01 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:49 pm

Quick question for Americans or Australians (or any other English speaking national):

I have already sent my application in and included a simple statement regarding English profiency. I said something like "As a citizen and resident of the U.S., all of my education has been in English, and thus it is my native language...blah blah blah.

Obviously, the HO should know that American applicants are English profient. However, I am second guessing whether I was supposed to include some other "proof" of my Enlish language skills.

Are there any other American/native English speakers out there who did not supply this requirement but got a positive response?

Thanks!

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:33 am

NO need to prove english proficiency for US nationals
Where there is a will there is a way.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:44 pm

Chess, sorry, the source of your information? It appears pretty clear that all applicants for naturalisation need to deal with the language aspect. No current nationality is exempt.

Much more at :-

Language requirement, further information - The need to prove sufficient knowledge of the English language

Nothing on that page to exempt any particular nationality. But a lot about how a native English speaker goes about proving that. Just read Section 1 and Section 2.

Just after the language requirement was added last summer IND were returning applications which simply ignored the language requirement, and indeed returning them very promptly. I am not sure if they are still doing that.

Incidentally, what about all the Hispanic speakers in the States? These days can we just assume that absolutely every USA citizen has a good command of the English language?

So mdeleo01, I suspect that your "simple statement" will be insufficient to pass the test.
John

homeistheuk
Newly Registered

Post by homeistheuk » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:46 pm

I got approved and I didn't include a statement about my english language proficiency. I think they just assumed since both my bachelor's and law degree was from US schools.

Just to be safe, your statement should be fine. Your US passport copy will also be a good indication.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:31 am

homeistheuk, it looks as if you are covered by Section 1 of the document I provided a link to.
John