ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

canadian to German Passport

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

freeze791
Newly Registered

canadian to German Passport

Post by freeze791 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:49 pm

I am a Canadian citizen. My parents were born in Canada, but my grandparents on my mom’s side were both born in Germany. They now reside in Canada and are Canadian citizens. I am not sure if they still hold there German citizenship though.

Q. Can I obtain a German passport on this basis ?

Thanks

Quantum
Newly Registered

Post by Quantum » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:27 pm

I've inquired about this (applying under jus sanguins doctrine), and was told by the German and Swedish consulates that it must be either of my parents, if borne after 1975, or my father if borne before, who is a German national in order for me to get citizenship.

However I have it on good authority that earlier ancestors can get you qualified, but I haven't had time to research the law.

On my latest inquiries I was told by the German Consulate,
"Please call our office at 713-985-3383 as these legal questions cannot be discussed online.", and by the Swedish Consulate,
"You can contact the Swedish Migration Board. The web-site is www.migrationsverket.se and you can choose language.".

freeze791
Newly Registered

Germany

Post by freeze791 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:13 pm

Thanks for the help.
Good luck to you. I will post if I find anything more.