ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation as spouse of UK permanent resident

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RinaKa
Newly Registered

Naturalisation as spouse of UK permanent resident

Post by RinaKa » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi. I'm a little bit confused with my situation.
Basically I moved to the UK in 2007 on spouse visa. My husband is Australian citizen who permanently lives in the UK (ancestry ILR) since 2002. I recently applied for my own ILR and still waiting for one. I understand that after I get my ILR I will be able to apply for naturalisation in 2010. My husband still hasn't applied for naturalisation just because he is lazy, he is happy with his Australian citizenship and UK ILR. :D
My question is: Can I apply for naturalisation after 3-year qualifying period if my husband is non-UK citezen but permanently reside in the UK? Or does he need to get his own citezenship first? Can we apply together at the same time after my 3-year qualifying period?

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:01 pm

You will not meet the residential requirement if you apply for citizenship in 2010. The residential requirement for spouses of British Citizens is 3yrs, for non British citizens is 5yrs (As the law stands now) With the new Citzenship law its a different ball game.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

RinaKa
Newly Registered

Post by RinaKa » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Papafaith wrote:You will not meet the residential requirement if you apply for citizenship in 2010. The residential requirement for spouses of British Citizens is 3yrs, for non British citizens is 5yrs (As the law stands now) With the new Citzenship law its a different ball game.
Thanks for your reply, Papafaith.
This is very tricky! Before with spouse and ILR visas, they would always refer to permanent residency! Just a little bit unexpected. :shock:

So I guess my husband needs to hurry up and go through naturalisation asap? Would I be able to apply for naturalisation then in 2010? Does he need to go through naturalisation only or both naturalisation and obtaining passport? (I'm just wandering how long would it take for him to get everything done.)

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:40 pm

It takes about 6 weeks for Naturalisation process, then a month or more to attend the ceremony, unless you do a private ceremony (fee paid)which could be as fast as a week, then 6 weeks for Passport application.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.