ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony & Passport Application

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RagsKasthuri
BANNED

Citizenship Ceremony & Passport Application

Post by RagsKasthuri » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi,

Pleased to let you know that my British Citizenship Ceremony is booked for the 7th September'09 in Hatfield.

I'm planning to make a Passport application on the same day through Check and Send Service.

1) Is it always compulsary that there would be a call for interview for all first passport applicants?

2) My citizenship ceremony is in Hatfield and I currently live in Edinburgh. If atall called for an interview, can I request for it to be closer to Edinburgh (or) the location is always based on the house address? The reason I am asking is because, though I live in Edinburgh at the moment, I gave my permanent house address in Watford which is why I am having to travel down to London to take my British Citizenship ceremony!!!

3) Once I receive my British Passport, what happens to my current passport? Is it still valid / legally it should be surrendered somewhere?

Thanks,
Rags

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:43 pm

Using your numbering :-
  1. Yes, all adult applicants applying for their first British passport are interviewed.
  2. On the passport application form you will enter an address. The interview will be someone in the vicinity of that address.
  3. It will be returned to you by the Passport office. What you do next depends upon the laws of the country of which you are currently a citizen. What country is that? Do they allow dual citizenship?
John

RagsKasthuri
BANNED

Post by RagsKasthuri » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:25 pm

John

Thanks for the reply.

I have now entered my Scotland address so that it would be easier to attend the interview somewhere in Edinburgh.

I have got an Indian Passport. I think India doesn't allow dual nationality. Not sure.

Thanks,
Rags

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:25 am

I have got an Indian Passport. I think India doesn't allow dual nationality. Not sure.
India does not allow dual nationality. No doubt someone of Indian origin will now post, to outline what you need to do, after you have got your British passport.
John

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 am

Wrong place to post citizenship question!

mustafa1981
Newly Registered

Post by mustafa1981 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:29 am

India does allow dual nationality

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:23 am

mustafa1981, since when?
John

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:37 am

mustafa1981 wrote:India does allow dual nationality
OCI is not Dual Citizenship. This link should help understand the difference.

RagsKasthuri
BANNED

Post by RagsKasthuri » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:00 pm

Thank you very much.

Its clear to me now. I can apply for OCI after British Citizenship which would solve the purpose so that I don't have to apply for a visa to visit India.

Cheers
Rags