ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long before expiry can I apply

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chalbaz4u
Newly Registered

How long before expiry can I apply

Post by chalbaz4u » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:45 pm

I am currently on my HSMP visa which I received in March 2008 for 2 years. How long before expiry can I apply and how long does it take at the moment ?

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: How long before expiry can I apply

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:36 pm

chalbaz4u wrote:I am currently on my HSMP visa which I received in March 2008 for 2 years. How long before expiry can I apply and how long does it take at the moment ?
It is recommened by HO that you apply withing 28 days of its expiry. But you can apply before. It is taking roughly 4-5 weeks nowadays.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Some one who i know applied before 1.5 years and got the extension..But the new visa was effective immediately :(

chalbaz4u
Newly Registered

Post by chalbaz4u » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:47 pm

chetanojha wrote:
chalbaz4u wrote:I am currently on my HSMP visa which I received in March 2008 for 2 years. How long before expiry can I apply and how long does it take at the moment ?
It is recommened by HO that you apply withing 28 days of its expiry. But you can apply before. It is taking roughly 4-5 weeks nowadays.
Last edited by chalbaz4u on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chalbaz4u
Newly Registered

will they start the visa from ownwards ?

Post by chalbaz4u » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks for the replies but If i apply in November will they start the visa from November or it will be extended onwards till march 2013 ? Or can i find any where in written or in any document the guidelines for HSMP visa extension criteria ?

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:51 pm

chalbaz4u wrote:
chetanojha wrote:
If i apply in November will they start the visa from the same day or it will be extended onwards till march 2013 ?
Immediate effected date mentioned by Ashish is not the date you apply.. it is the date they take decision...

In some cases they extend it from immediate effect (Dec 09 or Jan10) n in some cases they do it from the expiry date of ur current visa.. i lost 1month.. as i applied little earlier..

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi tvn_ramesh, please can give the details? when was ur visa due to expire and when did u apply for extension? you got the extension from the date decision was made?

This is not great news as I had seen many posts with early extensions getting the extension after the old visa. I was planning to apply 6 months early, now I am thinking what to do.

Vikram

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:05 pm

General rule is :If you apply before max 2 months,it will be post dated from your visa expiry(Mine was such case).
How ever if you apply before more then 2 months ,then HO acts smart and start your visa when the decision is being made,which is understandable
Imagine some one getting ext for 2 years today, gets his PP back,sends his PP for another extension,and gets extension for 3 years from 2 years from now..So in effect he gets 5 year extension.Then every1 will keep on applying till they get post dated extension(s) for 7-10 years...!!!!

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:58 pm

This is a very subjective issue and is left to the Case Worker's discretion. As you will realize after going through the many posts in this forum, there is no set rule.

If you apply much in advance of the expiry date of current leave, then I would suggest that you mention it in the Covering Letter and request them to extend the leave from date of expiry of current leave. Also provide reasons / proofs if available.
Regards,
crowbar6

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:45 pm

This is another VAGUE rule of Home office. nothing more expected from them. no one is certain about correct rule. because there is no where it is written in the rule book about visa duration. some one applied 4 months early and they get visa expiry from their current visa expiry on the other case some one applied just 3 weeks before his visa expiry but unfortuantely his visa was issued for 3 years from the day it was issued. how pathetic is it???? so we just depends on the luck and modd of case worker? this is really frustrating.. HOME OFFICE should clearly mention correct rule. but till today there is no set rule. even if u apply 1 week ago, you may be unlucky enough to get visa from the day it is issued on the othe hand if you are lucky enough then you can apply 6 months early but get visa expiry from your current visa expiry.