ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2: Comprehensive health insurance with emergency care???

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

VLong
Newly Registered

EEA2: Comprehensive health insurance with emergency care???

Post by VLong » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:53 am

Hello,

We applied as a "self-sufficient person" for a residence card in May 2008. After a long wait, the Home Office asked for our passports, marriage certificate and proof of a fully comprehensive health insurance. They said this insurance must include emergency care, as general health care plans are not sufficient.

However, several insurers and health brokers told us that there is actually no such private health insurance available in the UK--all private medical insurance basically still assumes a degree of NHS coverage, for the GP,
long-term illnesses, pre-existing conditions, and emergency care.

So basically it's impossible to give them what they want.

We did purchase a fully comprehensive health insurance with Aviva and sent this to the Home Office.

Can they reject our application because our current health insurance does not cover emergency care??????

We are extremeley frustrated.

Please help!
VLong

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:39 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

VLong
Newly Registered

Post by VLong » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi Vinny, thanks for your answer.

I understand the Home Office is wrong to be asking for a private comprehensive medical insurance (as I am already covered by the NHS), but this it how it is for the moment and I have no choice but to comply.

I just wanted to know if anybody knew of cases where the Home Office had rejected EEA2 applications because they were not satisfied with the level of private insurace cover...

We have been waiting for 16 months now and we desperately need this residence card as soon as possible...

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:34 pm

Does the health insurance cover need to come from a UK insurer?

VLong
Newly Registered

Post by VLong » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:40 pm

The Home Office does not say anything about the insurer having to come from the UK... but in my case, I did choose a UK insurer (Aviva).

ribena

Post by ribena » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:31 pm

we submitted my husband''s private insurance card from holland and it was accepted.