ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Issue with Letter from the University

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Noor
Newly Registered

Issue with Letter from the University

Post by Noor » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi,

Im in UK right now and planning to switch to Tier 1 (General).

To satisfy the attribute for English Language, I have requested for a letter from my universtiy, stating that the Master’s degree was taught in English language.
I have recieved the letter with the authorized signature, but it does not have a university seal on that.

Is that OK, or do I need to get another letter from the university with stamp?

Please reply ASAP.

Thanks,
Noor

push
United Kingdom

Re: Issue with Letter from the University

Post by push » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Noor wrote:Hi,

To satisfy the attribute for English Language, I have requested for a letter from my universtiy, stating that the Master’s degree was taught in English language.
I have recieved the letter with the authorized signature, but it does not have a university seal on that.

Please reply ASAP.

Thanks,
Noor
I dont think such letters are acceptable. Read the guidance carefully - In additiona to saying that the course was taught in English you have to prove that it was equivalent to sertain EU standards.

Check the points calculator. if it awards you 10 points under the English language criteria you dont need to submit anything else apart fromthe degree.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:41 pm

Please reply ASAP.

Thanks,
Noor
Agree with Push here. In good old HSMP days, such letters were accepted(even I used myself for my initial HSMP application).But nowadays you need a letter which specifically states that degree is taugh to a competent standard of English equivalent to level C1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR). (Point 192, Page 33 Guidance notes)

Nona

Post by Nona » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:23 pm

push_hsmp wrote:

Please reply ASAP.

Thanks,
Noor
I dont think such letters are acceptable. Read the guidance carefully - In additiona to saying that the course was taught in English you have to prove that it was equivalent to sertain EU standards.

Check the points calculator. if it awards you 10 points under the English language criteria you dont need to submit anything else apart fromthe degree.
For further clarity....
You are both emphasizing on clause 189 - Degree must be recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to at least a UK Bachelor’s degree; and have been taught in English to a standard comparable to that of level C1 on the CEFR.

My Bachelor's' appearing on the calculator. Should I still have this C1 CEFR? I don't find other applicants who have done both. Hence checking again.

Nona

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:47 pm

Nona wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:

Please reply ASAP.

Thanks,
Noor

For further clarity....
You are both emphasizing on clause 189 - Degree must be recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to at least a UK Bachelor’s degree; and have been taught in English to a standard comparable to that of level C1 on the CEFR.

My Bachelor's' appearing on the calculator. Should I still have this C1 CEFR? I don't find other applicants who have done both. Hence checking again.

Nona
You can use your Bachelor's for English Language points but for Qualification you need master degree.

email257525
BANNED

hi

Post by email257525 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi

Page 33 point 190 states that

Where the degree was taken in a majority English speaking country, listed below, we will assume it to have been taught in English:

I have MBA degree From British University studied in UK, Do i still need to get letter from University stating that it was taught in English?

push
United Kingdom

Re: hi

Post by push » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:46 pm

email257525 wrote:Hi

Page 33 point 190 states that

Where the degree was taken in a majority English speaking country, listed below, we will assume it to have been taught in English:

I have MBA degree From British University studied in UK, Do i still need to get letter from University stating that it was taught in English?
Nope

Nona

Post by Nona » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:24 pm

chetanojha wrote:
Nona wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:

Please reply ASAP.

Thanks,
Noor

For further clarity....

Nona
You can use your Bachelor's for English Language points but for Qualification you need master degree.
I don't require C1 then. Ok thanks chetanojha.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:08 pm

If the points calculator awards you 10 points for your degree then you do not have to provide any letter/ certification etc. The original degree itself would suffice.

jitendar
Newly Registered

Post by jitendar » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:28 pm

Nona wrote:
chetanojha wrote:
Nona wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:I dont think such letters are acceptable. Read the guidance carefully - In additiona to saying that the course was taught in English you have to prove that it was equivalent to sertain EU standards.

For further clarity....

Nona
I don't require C1 then. Ok thanks chetanojha.
There is 'NO' indication that bachelors English language will be considered for points. Complete document refers to 'the degree' and 'the degree' being taught in English. And in case of Tier 1, masters is the reference degree. I would suggest that if there is a way to get certification for masters try your level best for it.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:45 pm

jitendar wrote:There is 'NO' indication that bachelors English language will be considered for points. Complete document refers to 'the degree' and 'the degree' being taught in English. And in case of Tier 1, masters is the reference degree. I would suggest that if there is a way to get certification for masters try your level best for it.
Thats not correct. Read the guidance notes carefully. See the following from Para 188
Degree taught in EnglishAn applicant may provide evidence that he/she holds a degree which is equivalent to United Kingdom Bachelors level or higher and which was taught or researched in English to a particular level as evidence of his/her English language ability.

Noor
Newly Registered

Post by Noor » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the wonderful reply’s, I could not see them till today as I was not well. By the way, by seeing all your comments, I came to a conclusion, want you guys to confirm on that.

Letter from the university is there, which according to you guys is not required.

Apart from that, I requested for Certificate of Comparability from NARIC for my Master’s Degree. And I have received the letter from NARIC, stating that my Master’s degree is equivalent to the Master’s Degree in UK.

And I have selected this Master’s degree for claiming points for English language.

As I got the letter from NARIC, would it suffice along with the English language certificate from the university for claiming points for English language.

Please respond, as I am applying for Tier 1 tomorrow morning

Thanks one and all

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:21 am

I think you still have not learnt from the replies from other experienced members and asking the same question again.

Use UKBA points calculator, If your masters degree gives you points for English language and education section then thats it. You do not need anything else no letter from Uni, no letter from NARIC.

If your degree is not listed in UKBA points calculator then you need to get a letter from NARIC.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:38 am

I think it is not right.

NARIC letter will not fulfil English language requirement. It is just a comparison with UK education equivalence. For ENGLISH language criteria there are only two options:

1-If PBS calculator approves that your degree can claim points for English language, then you are good to go.

2- If PBS calculator does not approve, then you have to take a specified exam to claim English language points.

There is no other way out, please see below:

Tier 1 (General) Policy Guidance pages 33, 34 of 49

Checking qualifications

193. An applicant should check his/her degree by referring to the points based calculator on our website at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

194. Where the points based calculator is unable to confirm these details, points will not be awarded for the qualification in question.

195. Where the applicant is unable to find details of their qualification on the points based calculator, UK NARIC will not be able to verify whether a qualification satisfies the English Language requirement. In these circumstances, applicants should either present an alternative qualification from the points based calculator if they possess one, or select an alternative means of satisfying the English Language requirement.
rizwan567 wrote:I think you still have not learnt from the replies from other experienced members and asking the same question again.

Use UKBA points calculator, If your masters degree gives you points for English language and education section then thats it. You do not need anything else no letter from Uni, no letter from NARIC.

If your degree is not listed in UKBA points calculator then you need to get a letter from NARIC.

Noor
Newly Registered

Post by Noor » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks Rizwan and Mvent00,

Its true, the question was posted agian, but when confused :roll: , no other option, my aplogies.

I have selected my university, and master's degree (as my degree was not availble in pbs), it accepted the same for english lanugage, while running the pbs.

As my degree is not avialble in pbs, I got a NARIC letter.