ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good news for migrant worker who lost their jobs.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Darkhorse

Good news for migrant worker who lost their jobs.

Post by Darkhorse » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:52 pm

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0828/migrant.html
Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern has announced new rules for certain migrant workers who have been made redundant.

The Government said the change is part of its policy of protecting employment.

The changes relate to those people who are not citizens of the EU, Norway, Iceland Lichtenstein or Switzerland.

AdvertisementMigrant workers with a work permit who are made redundant currently have three months within which to find a new job.

The changes will increase the 'breathing space' to six months for any worker who has held an employment permit for less than five years.

Those who have held a work permit for more than five years, and have been working lawfully during that time, will be given 'an immigration permission that permits them to reside in Ireland and to work without the need for an employment permit'.

Minister Ahern said the change reflected the Government's determination to re-train those without work and to assist people who are looking for work.

He added: 'Now that we are in more difficult economic times, we cannot simply discard law abiding migrant workers, who have been living and working legally in Ireland for several years, when they become redundant.'
[/quote]

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Seems like the Minister has returned from his holidays with a fresh perspective/outlook.

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:10 pm

lovely news!!!

The changes announced today, agreed in consultation with the Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Ms. Mary Coughlan TD, will increase the 3 month "breathing space" for any worker who has held an employment permit for less than 5 years to 6 months. Commenting on the background to these changes, Minister Ahern said "The Government is determined to do all in its power to tackle the rise in numbers of people finding themselves without work or with reduced working time as a result of the global recession. Our approach in tackling the issue is multi-layered and centres on protecting employment across the economy, re-training those without work and assisting job seekers who are looking for work."

Those who have held a permit for more than 5 years and have been working lawfully during that time will be given an immigration permission that permits them to reside in Ireland and to work without the need for an employment permit. This will apply both to those made redundant after 5 years working on a permit and to those still in employment. In either case the holder of the permit will be free to seek other employment without having to apply for a new employment permit. These permissions will run for one year initially and be capable of renewal. It is not an unconditional permit and the holders are expected to work and to support themselves and any dependents. If made redundant they must seek new employment.

Noting that among the groups who are particularly vulnerable as a result of short-time working and redundancy are foreign nationals, Minister Ahern continued: "Now that we are in more difficult economic times, we cannot simply discard law abiding migrant workers, who have been living and working legally in Ireland for several years, when they become redundant. They have made a contribution to Ireland's economy and society and we need to give them some breathing space to get back to work. The changes we are making today reflect this approach. At the same time this cannot be open-ended. People who were permitted to come to Ireland on the basis of their employment need to be working."

The additional concession for those who have worked for 5 years is acknowledgement of the fact that persons in this category would be eligible to apply for long term residence or in some cases citizenship by naturalisation. Some may have pending applications and it is envisaged that the new arrangements would allow time for their applications to be considered, assuming that they remain law abiding and, if made redundant, are actively seeking to find new employment.

The Minister concluded: "The Tánaiste had written to me expressing particular concern for those redundant workers who had been working here long enough to be eligible for long term residence or citizenship and whose applications were still in the queue. We agreed that some additional measures were appropriate in these cases."

28 August 2009

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:03 pm

smalltime wrote:lovely news!!!

The changes announced today, agreed in consultation with the Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Ms. Mary Coughlan TD, will increase the 3 month "breathing space" for any worker who has held an employment permit for less than 5 years to 6 months. Commenting on the background to these changes, Minister Ahern said "The Government is determined to do all in its power to tackle the rise in numbers of people finding themselves without work or with reduced working time as a result of the global recession. Our approach in tackling the issue is multi-layered and centres on protecting employment across the economy, re-training those without work and assisting job seekers who are looking for work."

Those who have held a permit for more than 5 years and have been working lawfully during that time will be given an immigration permission that permits them to reside in Ireland and to work without the need for an employment permit. This will apply both to those made redundant after 5 years working on a permit and to those still in employment. In either case the holder of the permit will be free to seek other employment without having to apply for a new employment permit. These permissions will run for one year initially and be capable of renewal. It is not an unconditional permit and the holders are expected to work and to support themselves and any dependents. If made redundant they must seek new employment.

Noting that among the groups who are particularly vulnerable as a result of short-time working and redundancy are foreign nationals, Minister Ahern continued: "Now that we are in more difficult economic times, we cannot simply discard law abiding migrant workers, who have been living and working legally in Ireland for several years, when they become redundant. They have made a contribution to Ireland's economy and society and we need to give them some breathing space to get back to work. The changes we are making today reflect this approach. At the same time this cannot be open-ended. People who were permitted to come to Ireland on the basis of their employment need to be working."

The additional concession for those who have worked for 5 years is acknowledgement of the fact that persons in this category would be eligible to apply for long term residence or in some cases citizenship by naturalisation. Some may have pending applications and it is envisaged that the new arrangements would allow time for their applications to be considered, assuming that they remain law abiding and, if made redundant, are actively seeking to find new employment.

The Minister concluded: "The Tánaiste had written to me expressing particular concern for those redundant workers who had been working here long enough to be eligible for long term residence or citizenship and whose applications were still in the queue. We agreed that some additional measures were appropriate in these cases."

28 August 2009
Great to hear the news about the longer time for those who were made redundant. However,this is actually Half news. trust the politicians to play to the gallery. The condition in relation to those who have completed 5 years has always been in place - Long Term Residence (LTR). What he cleverly left out though was that 5 days ago, he announced the introduction of a 500euro fee for this category of residence permit.

How very generous of you minister. :lol:

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:20 am

but i LTR you have to wait 22 months to be free . New rule means people with more than 5 years residency here have freedom to move to any employment now. but ah... when will this actually happen?

TRV

Post by TRV » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:01 pm

finally the minister have come to his senses after his holidays...when he returned to dublin from a sunny abroad, he realised that his loo cleaners left Ireland because they could not renew their work permits, leaving his loo, shit smelled... The minister realised that he is on a time machine going backwards to Ireland back in 80's or 90's...

exchangeboy
Newly Registered

Post by exchangeboy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:59 pm

Entemp Update....

Policy on Employment Permits for non-EEA nationals who have held permits for 5 years or more and easing of the immigration rules for redundant non-EEA migrant workers

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... eyears.htm

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:02 pm

Full details of Implimentation on INIS website

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Ne ... EA_workers

The following clauses are worthy of note
The Stamp 4 permission in these cases cannot be construed as conferring any other rights or entitlements. It is not long term residence and it cannot be seen as any guarantee of permanent status.
The Stamp 4 permission does not include a right of self-employment or business permission (such permissions are, however, given to those who secure long term residence).
.......... and so the "musical chairs" continues :)

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:29 am

Also...

This permission will run for one year. It may be renewed annually but this will depend on whether the holder is in employment or if redundant is making efforts to seek employment and has not become an undue burden on the State.

Presumably this Stamp / INIS card issue is free, considering the applicants are currently out of work (re: redundant)

9jeirean wrote:Full details of Implimentation on INIS website

The following clauses are worthy of note
The Stamp 4 permission in these cases cannot be construed as conferring any other rights or entitlements. It is not long term residence and it cannot be seen as any guarantee of permanent status.
The Stamp 4 permission does not include a right of self-employment or business permission (such permissions are, however, given to those who secure long term residence).
.......... and so the "musical chairs" continues :)

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:37 pm

Presumably this Stamp / INIS card issue is free, considering the applicants are currently out of work (re: redundant)
i wouldn't presume that...

The non-EEA national will be entitled to have their immigration permission extended to ensure that they receive the full 6 month breathing space.
(The issue of a new GNIB Card would however be liable to the normal fee of €150).If at the end of the 6 month breathing space period the foreign national is still unable to secure new employment they would be expected to leave the State unless they have been permitted to remain on some other basis.

redstar
Newly Registered

Has anyone gotten permission to stay based on the new rules?

Post by redstar » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:57 pm

Hi I was on stamp 1 for over 5 years and my partner is on stamp 5 (without condition as to time). I was made redundo in May and at that point I was told I can only qualify for spousal stamp 3.

Has anyone applied for the new condition Dermot Ahern mentioned? How to you apply for it and what stamp do they give you? I am hoping it's stamp 4 and I can get it for a year while the naturlisation/LTR processing is going ahead.

I might go to my local garda immigration officer and see what he thinks, but he isn't really kept in the loop like the staff in Dublin. The Dublin folks won't help me at all since I am out of their jurisdiction.

I am kindof paranoid though.....what if this is just a way of tracking unemployed immigrants and then in a yea you get the boot if still unemployed. Hopefully we will be ok since my parnter has stamp 5, but you know anything goes these days.