ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IT Consultants as Referees

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jas

IT Consultants as Referees

Post by jas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Hello,

I am preparing for my naturalisation application and have requested two of my colleagues for reference. Both of them are IT Consultant but not members of BCS. I have read through the list of acceptable referees and won't know any one outside of IT for more than 3 years. Please could someone advise if IT Consultants would be okay. By the way both are British Citizens.

Thanks in advance.

ilrsuccess
Newly Registered

Post by ilrsuccess » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:07 pm

As far as I know if they work for a well known company such as in Insurance, Banking and I.T the referee should be ok :)

jas

Post by jas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:51 pm

ilrsuccess, one of them works for well-known IT company and other one for a small time company. But unfortunately both are not members of BCS.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:36 pm

I think the BCS is generally regarded as a bit of joke organisation, I'm in IT and know literally 100's of IT consultants and I don't think any are in BCS. PCG yes, but not BCS
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

th

Post by th » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:14 am

I wouldn't take the risk of losing the application fee *only* because of the invalidity of the referee. As it had explicitly listed the qualified referee, in your case BCS is mandatory. One example is you can get the chartered accountant as the referee but you can't just get someone who is in an accounting role to do so without the professional qualification.

I am in the IT field as well so I ended up using one IT consultant as the second referee purely as a BC who is 25 or older, and using my boss as the director of a limited company as the first referee (he is not BC but it does not matter).

jas

Post by jas » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:22 pm

I have my ex-colleague who works for an IT company as a Manager. Would that be okay instead of someone with BCS membership? Thanks.

th

Post by th » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:38 pm

I don't think so but if you are struggling with this, email HO and if you reply with okay, then you may want to attach the email printout together with your referee form. I still believe it is not worth taking the risk, in my opinion.
jas wrote:I have my ex-colleague who works for an IT company as a Manager. Would that be okay instead of someone with BCS membership? Thanks.

jas

Post by jas » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:47 pm

th,

thanks. But the HO list of acceptable referees mentions that Manager of VAT registered company is acceptable. So this ex-colleague of mine who is Manager in this IT company would be acceptable, won't he be?

th

Post by th » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:13 pm

jas, I had a discussion with a few colleagues before on this. Some raised the question if the definition of manager is as below?

1. People manager, ie: having direct reports.
2. Technical manager, ie: IT manager with no direct reports.
3. Just a job title with the keyword "manager".

We all tend to agree that this is indeed asking for a people manager at the level so it would be on the "professional" level.
jas wrote:th,

thanks. But the HO list of acceptable referees mentions that Manager of VAT registered company is acceptable. So this ex-colleague of mine who is Manager in this IT company would be acceptable, won't he be?

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:39 pm

th wrote:jas, I had a discussion with a few colleagues before on this. Some raised the question if the definition of manager is as below?

1. People manager, ie: having direct reports.
2. Technical manager, ie: IT manager with no direct reports.
3. Just a job title with the keyword "manager".

We all tend to agree that this is indeed asking for a people manager at the level so it would be on the "professional" level.
There is a 4th option - the manager of the company (ie the boss). The words used are 'of a company' rather than 'in a company' which might make this the more likely option.

ilrsuccess
Newly Registered

Re: IT Consultants as Referees

Post by ilrsuccess » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:12 pm

jas wrote:Hello,

I am preparing for my naturalisation application and have requested two of my colleagues for reference. Both of them are IT Consultant but not members of BCS. I have read through the list of acceptable referees and won't know any one outside of IT for more than 3 years. Please could someone advise if IT Consultants would be okay. By the way both are British Citizens.

Thanks in advance.
Jas here is a list of acceptable professional referees and YES they have to be members of BCS.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

^ list of refrees

jas

Post by jas » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:15 pm

ilrsuccess, Thanks. I have asked my ex-colleague to be referee who is a Manager in a well known IT company. I hope that will be okay. I couldn't get any one who is on BCS register.