ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time away and Year calculation - ILR query

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vjs8in

Time away and Year calculation - ILR query

Post by vjs8in » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi,
Have gone through a few posts stating the the maximum one can spend outside a country is 90 days in a year . My question is

- Is this 90 days in one stretch or is it that no of days outside UK should be <90, no matter how it is taken.

- How is the year calculated. For e.g, If i go to india in November and return to UK by end of Jan. will this be 60 days in 2009 and 30 days in 2010?

- is there a 180 day limit (over 5 yr period)?

can some one point out to the official guidelines on these rules, or share your personal expenses.

Cheers
Suresh

confused?
Newly Registered

Post by confused? » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:58 pm

hi ,
i had same doubts and rang home office the other day - there guidance says not more than 90 days at a stretch and not more than a total of 180 days in 5 years, but they said its only a guideline if you have been outside uk more than that and you can give evidence of/reason of your stay outside uk than its at the "discretion of the case worker to grant ILR or not.
Hope this helps

vjs8in

Post by vjs8in » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:31 am

That is ridiculous, saying that it is up to the case worker. There should be a clearer guide line on what scenario's are applicable.

Do senior memebers have any answers/ experiences that they can share?

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:23 pm

vjs8in wrote:That is ridiculous, saying that it is up to the case worker. There should be a clearer guide line on what scenario's are applicable.

Do senior memebers have any answers/ experiences that they can share?
Well the actual guideline says 180days or whatever it is. So they could stick to that.
the problem is if they tell us exactly what scenario you need if you have exceeded the allowed days then everyone will be going with the same story. having never worked in HO b4 i cannot confirm this but i suspect there are other 'guidelines' that they tell the caseworkers that we dont know about :wink:

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:57 pm

Well, I had an 87-day (at a stretch) absence, plus additional days in the same year. And my ILR application was successful.
The number 180 seems to be based on the old 4 years for ILR. Now with the 5-year requirement, this would translate to 225 days (45 x 5).

This question has been raised here several times, and we have had quite a bit of discussion about the various finer points. I wish they had been kept as sticky threads, then newcomers could refer to them.
(Hope Admins are reading this request!)

remo1
Newly Registered

Post by remo1 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:34 pm

If it is a paid leave or business trip, then it is NOT counted towards your 180days absence

ash20

Re: Time away and Year calculation - ILR query

Post by ash20 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:50 pm

vjs8in wrote:Hi,
Have gone through a few posts stating the the maximum one can spend outside a country is 90 days in a year . My question is

- Is this 90 days in one stretch or is it that no of days outside UK should be <90, no matter how it is taken.

- How is the year calculated. For e.g, If i go to india in November and return to UK by end of Jan. will this be 60 days in 2009 and 30 days in 2010?

- is there a 180 day limit (over 5 yr period)?

can some one point out to the official guidelines on these rules, or share your personal expenses.

Cheers
Suresh
Suresh,
It is 90 days in one stretch not a yearwise calculation. If you go in november and come back in Jan it will be seen as 90 days continous absence not a year wise absence

For 180 day limit , there is no official guidline .. Guidline says
holidays (consistent with annual paid leave) or business trips (consistent with maintaining employment or self-employment in the United Kingdom), may be disregarded, provided he has clearly continued to be based here
Norm is 25 days and with public holidays and weekends it may go upto 45 days a year .. as long as it is consistent with your annual leave it should be fine
from the forum topics it appears that 225 days in 5 years should be ok .
Hope this helps