ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American in UK - Tier 2 Question

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jmestes
Newly Registered

American in UK - Tier 2 Question

Post by jmestes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi all. I'm an American who's been in Glasgow since August 5th. I've rented a flat, and I'd like to live here indefinitely, but I'm currently here on a tourist visa.

My question is this: can I apply for a Tier 2 visa from here in the UK if I am offered a job? I'm currently interviewing, and as I said, I'm holding residence here on a 6-month lease. My goal is to work and reside in Scotland, but I'm really worried about having to go back to the US to apply for a visa. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:39 pm

You would need to go back to US and seek entry clearance if you do get Tier2.

You can not switch in country.
Magsi

jmestes
Newly Registered

Post by jmestes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:48 pm

Wow. So it's virtually impossible to show up in the UK and then apply for a visa?

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:12 am

jmestes wrote:Wow. So it's virtually impossible to show up in the UK and then apply for a visa?
1. Its possible to show up in UK as a tourist but impossible to get any visa if u r a tourist.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:52 am

Never say never. If your skills are on the Shortage Occupation List for Tier 2 then you can potentially apply to transfer in country but other than that, yeah you have to go home.

The reason that you have to return home is because you entered the country with intention of a visit, not to permanently settle and work. You must enter with the correct Visa and intentions in order to validate your stay.

Hope that helps :)

madeabigmistake
Newly Registered

Post by madeabigmistake » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi, I'm an American as well...and yes, it is likely that you will have to go home to apply. Private message me if you like and I will tell you my experience. It can be easy or it can be hard...it all depends on the people you get at consulates, etc.

My best advice is to ask the same question at least 5 times to see what answers you get! (i.e., call the home office at least 5 times with the same questions to see what answers you get!)

D