ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long-Term or Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

debe61
Newly Registered

Long-Term or Citizenship

Post by debe61 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:36 am

I will apply for one or the other in January 2010, just not sure which!

Married my Irish husband in December 04 in the states. Moved here to live with him in Jan 07 and received the stamp 4 with date to remain until Jan 2011. He passed away in June of this year, so I was not sure how the process will now work.

Anyone dealt with this type of situation before?

zzz

Re: Long-Term or Citizenship

Post by zzz » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 am

debe61 wrote: He passed away in June of this year
very sorry to hear that :(

I may not be entirely correct (can't find the document),
but you may be entitled for 'immediate' naturalization after death of your spouse.

kazinirl

Post by kazinirl » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:13 am

debe61 wrote:I will apply for one or the other in January 2010, just not sure which!

Married my Irish husband in December 04 in the states. Moved here to live with him in Jan 07 and received the stamp 4 with date to remain until Jan 2011. He passed away in June of this year, so I was not sure how the process will now work.

Anyone dealt with this type of situation before?
Hi debe61,

I am very sorry to hear your loss.

Long-Term : You mean Long Term Residency?!
This is for persons who have been legally resident in the State for over five years (i.e. 60 months) on the basis of work permits/work authorisation/work visa conditions.
You have been on Stamp4 as a spouse. So LTR is not for you.

Citizenship : I think you can apply for Citizenship in January 2010.
But I don't know how long it will take for widows of Irish to get citizenship.
Also I don't know about "immediate naturalization" either.

I have a friend(Japanese) whoes Irish husband passed away in 2007 unfortunately only a short time after their wedding.
Now she's been on Stamp5or6 (sorry I'm not sure which one) since her husband's death.
I am sure she didn't apply for citizenship because Japanese nationals are not allowed to have dual/multiple citizenship.

Why don't you go to see a immigration officer with your Marriage and your husband's Death Certs?
Anyway I think you need to go to your local immigration office as soon as possible to talk about the change of your status because of your husband's decease.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:28 pm

kazinirl wrote:I have a friend(Japanese) whoes Irish husband passed away in 2007 unfortunately only a short time after their wedding.
Now she's been on Stamp5or6 (sorry I'm not sure which one) since her husband's death.
Should be Stamp 5 (Without Condition As To Time). Stamp 6 (Without Condition) is for Irish citizens who also have a foreign passport.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

debe61
Newly Registered

Post by debe61 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks everyone. I will contact the local immigration office and talk with them about the situation.