ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

no surname in existing passport - advise on naturalisation?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jas

no surname in existing passport - advise on naturalisation?

Post by jas » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:11 pm

Hello,

I am applying for Naturalisation based on 5 years (WP+ILR). In my current passport, my surname and first name are listed together in the First Name field and Surname field is left blank. I had the passport for nearly 9 years and never had any issue. In any of the visa forms filled till date, I use to leave the surname field empty in form and fill it as per my passport with no issue.

Now, I am to fill Naturalisation form and am confused whether I should leave surname empty and fill my name in First name field only (both first name ans surname together as per my current passport)? or shall I fill both names separately in relevant fields although this will be slightly different from what my current passport have which is both names are listed together under surname? Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:46 pm

shall I fill both names separately in relevant fields although this will be slightly different from what my current passport
I think that is what you should do. Your surname is your surname, whatever your passport says.
John

jas

Post by jas » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:00 pm

John, Thanks for your response. I hope filling up surname and firstname separately wouldn't cause any hurdle to my application. Do I need to explain it in the form anywhere why I have split the name against what my current passport holds? By the way, there is no change to my name and no spelling change either.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:50 pm

In some countries/communities, there's no concept of last name. If that's the reason your name appears the way it does in the passport, then it may make sense to enter it the same way in your naturalisation application. You may encounter difficulties otherwise.

Also may be worth speaking to Home Office to confirm the best option.

MUGHAL
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: no surname in existing passport - advise on naturalisati

Post by MUGHAL » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:29 am

hi John.
please i have my daughter whose name is only with one word on Passport and birth certificate so how can i split it for the surname and first name,
please i am going to apply for Naturalisation.
if i will get the different name for her now as with addition then it may get problem for British Passport so please need your expert opinion,
some people say i can use my own surname with her name but can you guide me for this please.
my first name is SAGEER
and surname is as AHMAD
MY daughter name is as only MAHNOOR
on all documents.
waiting for your reply soon please as i have alredy got appointment for NCServices on 28th of this month.
many thanks in advance.
regards.
Mughal

jas wrote:Hello,

I am applying for Naturalisation based on 5 years (WP+ILR). In my current passport, my surname and first name are listed together in the First Name field and Surname field is left blank. I had the passport for nearly 9 years and never had any issue. In any of the visa forms filled till date, I use to leave the surname field empty in form and fill it as per my passport with no issue.

Now, I am to fill Naturalisation form and am confused whether I should leave surname empty and fill my name in First name field only (both first name ans surname together as per my current passport)? or shall I fill both names separately in relevant fields although this will be slightly different from what my current passport have which is both names are listed together under surname? Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:21 am

If that is her first name, obviously enter that in the appropriate place. And enter your surname where it asks for that, even if the surname is not on the birth certificate.

But I have to say, I find this very strange.
John

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:56 am

MUGHAL wrote:hi John.
please i have my daughter whose name is only with one word on Passport and birth certificate so how can i split it for the surname and first name,
please i am going to apply for Naturalisation.
if i will get the different name for her now as with addition then it may get problem for British Passport so please need your expert opinion,
some people say i can use my own surname with her name but can you guide me for this please.
my first name is SAGEER
and surname is as AHMAD
on all documents.
waiting for your reply soon please as i have alredy got appointment for NCServices on 28th of this month.
many thanks in advance.
regards.
Mughal
Why on earth wouldn't you give a surname to your child? Strange indeed! It could be yours, her father's, her grandfather's, a made up one.... something! Anyway, best to put yours if no-one else's.

gg234

Post by gg234 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi Guys,

In my wife passport and birth certificate she is having only first name is it going to be a problem when i apply for ILR,naturalisation or it is ok with only first name

Thanks

MUGHAL
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MUGHAL » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:51 am

hi good morning.
thanks very much please if i will write my own surname with my daughter's name so what willbe about the British passport
will they see her pakistani passport to write the name on British passport or they will look her Naturalisation/registeration certificate.
as her name on Pakistani pp and birth certificate is as only MAHNOOR.
many thanks in advance.
WAITING FOR YOUR expertised guidence please.
mugal
===============================
John wrote:
If that is her first name, obviously enter that in the appropriate place. And enter your surname where it asks for that, even if the surname is not on the birth certificate.

Pisces

Post by Pisces » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:06 pm

MUGHAL wrote:hi good morning.
thanks very much please if i will write my own surname with my daughter's name so what willbe about the British passport
will they see her pakistani passport to write the name on British passport or they will look her Naturalisation/registeration certificate.
as her name on Pakistani pp and birth certificate is as only MAHNOOR.
many thanks in advance.
WAITING FOR YOUR expertised guidence please.
mugal
===============================
John wrote:

HO will only look at your Nationality application for onwards documents including Citizenship certificate and Passport I believe. The only other thing they can do is to write you a letter to confirm these things. As in my case my daughter was born in hospital in nearby city (birth certificate also mentioned that city) but on her native passport I have my town as her birth town which I only spotted while putting a Nationality application. In the application I used the correct town (from the birth certificate) and had no issues. I would suggest take this a chance to fix any thing that need correction before her British Passport.