ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help with Media Campaign against unfair Tier 1 refusals.

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

docright
Newly Registered

Help with Media Campaign against unfair Tier 1 refusals.

Post by docright » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:28 pm

Are you one of the thousands of people like me, who have had their Tier 1 visa application refused on unfair grounds, the maintenance funds rule, or similar? If so, are you willing to be part of a media campaign to raise awareness of unfair and draconian guidelines and regulations for the points based system enforced by UKBA.

I am an overseas qualified dentist, currently working in the NHS, and continue to fight a legal battle with the UKBA against my Tier 1 refusal. With channel 4, we are looking for people in similar situation to tell their story and campaign against these BNP style regulations.

Interested, please get in touch. Confidentiality can be maintained by concealing identity on request.
Please email me at docright@gmail.com

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Help with Media Campaign against unfair Tier 1 refusals.

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:09 pm

docright wrote:Are you one of the thousands of people like me, who have had their Tier 1 visa application refused on unfair grounds, the maintenance funds rule, or similar? If so, are you willing to be part of a media campaign to raise awareness of unfair and draconian guidelines and regulations for the points based system enforced by UKBA.

I am an overseas qualified dentist, currently working in the NHS, and continue to fight a legal battle with the UKBA against my Tier 1 refusal. With channel 4, we are looking for people in similar situation to tell their story and campaign against these BNP style regulations.

Interested, please get in touch. Confidentiality can be maintained by concealing identity on request.
Please email me at docright@gmail.com
Could you please explain what type of refusals you consider as unfair?

docright
Newly Registered

Re: Help with Media Campaign against unfair Tier 1 refusals.

Post by docright » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:07 pm

chetanojha wrote:Could you please explain what type of refusals you consider as unfair?
Sure. For instance, in my case, they refused my Tie 1 application because my bank balance dipped below the £800 "limit" for a few days. I had given a valid reason. Because I had been regularly saving in the form of Premium Bonds with National Savings & Investments, which "is an executive agency of the chancellor of the Exchequer" and guarantees a 100% return of investment, for purchase of property, my balance naturally dipped down for a day or two due to the direct debts I had set up with NS & I. I provided evidence of being in possession of such bonds, which can be encashed on next day basis. Through this, I have saved up enough to now be able to put a 25% deposit for a 5 bedroom house I am in process of buying. Despite of all good evidence, UKBA argued that "bonds and other financial instruments are unacceptable forms of evidence of maintenance funds, as per tier 1 guidelines".
They seem to be misusing "guidelines" as "protocols", as the former are not legally binding, nor legislative and following them is not mandatory. Also, "guidelines" do allow for personal discretion in interpretation by a civil servant, something UKBA case workers have failed to practice when they enforce blanket guidelines without careful consideration to individual circumstances.

It is unfair that while I still continue to work as a surgeon in the NHS, pay taxes on a high bracket and can afford to buy property, I am being told that I have not provided evidence that I will not rely on state benefits.
I am aware that thousands of "highly skilled immigrants" who have faced refusals on such offensively illogical grounds.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:41 pm

NA & Others (Tier 1 Post-Study Work-funds) [2009] UKAIT 00025

The maintenance requirements in the points based system already has case law showing that the associated guidance is in fact mandatory and binding:
i.The new-style Immigration Rules governing Tier 1 (Post Study Work) contain a Maintenance (Funds) requirement in mandatory terms that admit of no discretion and make no allowance for sickness or other mitigating circumstances.

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:45 pm

Good luck with this DocRight .

The Uk has a serious problem with a shortage of denists and people not being able to get access to a dentist .

I wish you all the best and hope your visa gets sorted mate .

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:33 am

Good luck with your campaign DocRight. The rules are quite illogical but I wouldn't necessarily call them draconian. I'm a bit unsure how they have arbitrarily arrived at the £800 figure. Surely if you are in full time employment is sufficient proof that you can maintain yourself.

Hope your campaign can drive some common sense into the rules.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:28 am

if the people in article below can get press coverage, why not ours. The guy doesnt even fill the requirement of earning!

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/po ... 5642393.jp

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/la ... 5642413.jp

Even the right wing parties wouldnt have done the harm labour is doing to immigrants and immigration policies. It seems we are not welcomed anymore. there is no differentiation between types of immigrants/migrants. This is the category they convinently put us in:

- Work illegally, cut local wages, claim benefits, stab people, protest against troops, spit everywhere, dont integrate, cant speak english and most importantly DONT PLAY BY THE RULES, as we are constantly reminded to please local population.

winber

Post by winber » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:06 pm

I've noticed other people on this forum have not been able to renew Tier 1 due to lack of maintenance funds, or misunderstanding what they have to do.

The rule causes a lot of stress for people. If you can show the necessary income and can afford the £800 fee or whatever it is these days, what is the justification for it?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:19 pm

winber

I think the points based system was/is supposed to be objective rather than relying on the opinion of the person making the decision. If you do XYZ, you get what you want, rather than a person's opinion about what it means.

Some people who have lost appeals due to not having enough maintenance funds have won. This may be because they have a bank account that they did not provide with their application, or perhaps due to human rights considerations.

Have a look at the cases in the archive.

http://www.ait.gov.uk/Public/Searchunreported.aspx

Sap_consultant
Newly Registered

Post by Sap_consultant » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:28 pm

I can understand his agony....

I can remember an immigration lawyer saying 'visa is a privilege and not a right'.

Atleast another 1000 refused applicants would get their visa's if this clause is overlooked. Moreover, the guidance says that the money in the account should never go below the threshold even for a day. For that matter, deposits in your name are also not accepted which is liquifiable cash with interest.

It is unfortunate that the applicant failed to be cautious on this.

With current economic conditions and the mood of Brit jobs for Brit workers I am doubtful, how far his campaign would get mileage, that too when the clause is clear.

Maybe an appeal with a covering letter and proof of bonds is worth a shot...

All the best....

winber

Post by winber » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:59 pm

That is a very interesting site PaperPusher, I was surprised at all the detail in those documents. The one I randomly clicked on found that the case worker had made a material error in applying the law.

docright
Newly Registered

Post by docright » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:41 am

Sap_consultant wrote:I can understand his agony....

I can remember an immigration lawyer saying 'visa is a privilege and not a right'.

Atleast another 1000 refused applicants would get their visa's if this clause is overlooked. Moreover, the guidance says that the money in the account should never go below the threshold even for a day. For that matter, deposits in your name are also not accepted which is liquifiable cash with interest.

With current economic conditions and the mood of Brit jobs for Brit workers I am doubtful, how far his campaign would get mileage, that too when the clause is clear.

All the best....
My original application was accompanied with a covering letter, explaining the reasons for a fall of balance, along with copies of all bonds (£31,000), the fact that I had been saving to buy property, a copy of the home buyers report, a copy of letter confirming acceptance for offer for the property, another confirming offer for mortgage. Also letters from the NHS trust, confirming that I am likely to be made permanent staff...

Also, if there were enough skilled british people for british jobs, the HSMP or Tier 1 would not exist - for instance shortage of doctors and dentists in the NHS.

I'd also like to add that people doing a 9-5 (or 24 hour shifts in my case) would not be logging onto UKBA website daily to keep up to date with any changes enforced. The onus falls on UKBA to introduce changes fairly, and use guidelines exactly as the name implies.. "guide-lines" and not the law.
Also, I've seen numerous examples of "do not send extra documents unless requested by the case worker, it will only delay processing of application." I have yet to come across a single example where a case worker has actively asked for more documents instead of blindly throwing the application into a pile of "no".

nksg

Post by nksg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:59 am

Doc,

I agree with your concern here and understand what you are going through. But you cannot blame HO for silly mistake of yours..

as some one already said 'visa is a privilege and not a right', its your responsibility to take care of all the documents and news related to your visa..

Apologies.. but i dont wanna be rude here.

The guidance notes clearly states that maintenance funds should never drop below £800 any any point in three months.. if i were you i would saved this money in a different account rather than using my current acocunt for the same.. u say u have a balance of 31K in the form of bonds i am sure you would not have faced this problem if you would have been careful and saved 30K towards the bonds and 1K for the maintenance funds..

In all these years i admit in this country every authority goes by the book.

Apologies again!!

All the best!
docright wrote:

All the best....
My original application was accompanied with a covering letter, explaining the reasons for a fall of balance, along with copies of all bonds (£31,000), the fact that I had been saving to buy property, a copy of the home buyers report, a copy of letter confirming acceptance for offer for the property, another confirming offer for mortgage. Also letters from the NHS trust, confirming that I am likely to be made permanent staff...

Also, if there were enough skilled british people for british jobs, the HSMP or Tier 1 would not exist - for instance shortage of doctors and dentists in the NHS.

I'd also like to add that people doing a 9-5 (or 24 hour shifts in my case) would not be logging onto UKBA website daily to keep up to date with any changes enforced. The onus falls on UKBA to introduce changes fairly, and use guidelines exactly as the name implies.. "guide-lines" and not the law.
Also, I've seen numerous examples of "do not send extra documents unless requested by the case worker, it will only delay processing of application." I have yet to come across a single example where a case worker has actively asked for more documents instead of blindly throwing the application into a pile of "no".

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:34 pm

nksg wrote:Doc,

I agree with your concern here and understand what you are going through. But you cannot blame HO for silly mistake of yours..

as some one already said 'visa is a privilege and not a right', its your responsibility to take care of all the documents and news related to your visa..

The guidance notes clearly states that maintenance funds should never drop below £800 any any point in three months.. if i were you i would saved this money in a different account rather than using my current acocunt for the same.. u say u have a balance of 31K in the form of bonds i am sure you would not have faced this problem if you would have been careful and saved 30K towards the bonds and 1K for the maintenance funds..

Apologies again!!

All the best!
docright wrote:

All the best....

You are missing the point here. The retrospective changes is what
bothers many. not the rules. Are immigrants supposed to keep checking everyday for changes in HO policy? i mean how would have anyone known that the maintainance rules had changed, when they F'ing got their under different rules. there is no peace of mind. HO is using cheap tactics with immigrants here.

No i have not been affected by any rules and have enough maintainace funds always available. But i can see the point that is being made here.

Is the policy fair? is the question here. Nothing to do with Privilige or Right as you constantly quote. Let others make their point. If you can help,.... help.

nksg

Post by nksg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Dude!! i made my point here!!

i am sure you understand the meaning of "Apologies again!!" in my post.

No one can help you if you make silly mistakes!!
confusedhsmp wrote:
nksg wrote:Doc,

Apologies again!!

All the best!
docright wrote:

All the best....

You are missing the point here. The retrospective changes is what
bothers many. not the rules. Are immigrants supposed to keep checking everyday for changes in HO policy? i mean how would have anyone known that the maintainance rules had changed, when they F'ing got their under different rules. there is no peace of mind. HO is using cheap tactics with immigrants here.

No i have not been affected by any rules and have enough maintainace funds always available. But i can see the point that is being made here.

Is the policy fair? is the question here. Nothing to do with Privilige or Right as you constantly quote. Let others make their point. If you can help,.... help.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:58 pm

confusedhsmp wrote: Are immigrants supposed to keep checking everyday for changes in HO policy? i mean how would have anyone known that the maintainance rules had changed, when they F'ing got their under different rules. there is no peace of mind. HO is using cheap tactics with immigrants here.
I'll disagree here. As a stakeholder in PBS , I'll always keep my eyes,ear open for any immigration related news. So does majority of people here do.
As far as this particular rule is concerned, it was out late 2007, in the form of draft. As mentioned by somebody, earlier in thread, PBS comes to remove subjectivity in decision. Now, you cannot call it illogical.

Applicant need to carry some blame, sometimes.