ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it illegal

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

anjali_devi

Is it illegal

Post by anjali_devi » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:29 am

I was naturalized recently and now hold a UK passport.

I used to be an indian national before.

I have a pouch in which I carry both my UK and indian passort (My indian passport is cancelled, so I cannot use it).

My friend tells me even carrying my indian passport along with my UK one is illegal.

Is it so?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:59 am

If your Indian passport was not cancelled, then it may be illegal in India, but not in the UK. However, I don't see how carrying a cancelled Indian passport would be a problem.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sac

Post by sac » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:06 am

nope, that's fine and legal; your friend is mistaken.

by law you cannot hold a valid indian passport as well as a valid passport of another country - ie, you cannot be a citizen of india as well as of another country.

one is required to 'surrender' the indian passport when you acquire another nationality. maybe this is what confused your friend. but what this word actually means is that the indian passport will simply be negated for use (corners clipped) and returned to you... just like when you renew the indian passport and they cancel the old one.

obviously you then cannot use it for travel or identity any longer. but you are absolutely free to carry it around or keep it in storage for reference purposes.

anjali_devi

Post by anjali_devi » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:13 pm

Thank you Vinny and Sac.

This has put my mind to ease.