ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

should i apply before rule changes in jan-2010

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

psw2009
Member of Standing

should i apply before rule changes in jan-2010

Post by psw2009 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi Guys,

I have received my psw visa in august 2009 before i was on student visa but i earned over 20000 pounds during my paid internship for the course of MBA now i have MBA degree and enough earning to apply for Tier 1 General. I want to ask should i wait for the changes which going to be in jan-2010 for citizenship or apply now for the tier 1 general so that i will be to get the british passport after 5 years otherwise they may change the rules in january 2010. Please let me have your comments.

Best Regards,

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:49 pm

they keep on changing rules. If you have enough points for Tier 1 then by all means switch over

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: should i apply before rule changes in jan-2010

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:57 pm

psw2009 wrote:Hi Guys,

I have received my psw visa in august 2009 before i was on student visa but i earned over 20000 pounds during my paid internship for the course of MBA now i have MBA degree and enough earning to apply for Tier 1 General. I want to ask should i wait for the changes which going to be in jan-2010 for citizenship or apply now for the tier 1 general so that i will be to get the british passport after 5 years otherwise they may change the rules in january 2010. Please let me have your comments.

Best Regards,
If you can switch now, better switch now than late.

psw2009
Member of Standing

will they accept internship points

Post by psw2009 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:04 pm

will home office accept internship points?
i did one year internship when i was on student visa and company paid me for that. There is a signed internship contract between college and company. I will attache the following documents please let me know if there any other documents require.

1. Transcript
2. College Letter
3. Bank Statement
4. Bank Letter
5. Salary Slips
6. Internship Contract for one year

Best Regards,

bitterweb

Re: will they accept internship points

Post by bitterweb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:22 pm

psw2009 wrote:will home office accept internship points?
i did one year internship when i was on student visa and company paid me for that. There is a signed internship contract between college and company. I will attache the following documents please let me know if there any other documents require.

1. Transcript
2. College Letter
3. Bank Statement
4. Bank Letter
5. Salary Slips

Best Regards,
I think this is a grey area since you are not supposed to work full-time under student Visa.

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Re: will they accept internship points

Post by cheshiregoan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:30 pm

bitterweb wrote:
psw2009 wrote:will home office accept internship points?

1. Transcript
2. College Letter
3. Bank Statement
4. Bank Letter
5. Salary Slips

Best Regards,
I think this is a grey area since you are not supposed to work full-time under student Visa.
While it is a bit of a grey area, it all depends on whether the one year internship was done during "term time" or "non-term time", because you are allowed to work full time during non-term time.

If you can arrange a letter from your University and your employer that your internship was during non-term time then it will be more explainable.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

alimohmand

Post by alimohmand » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Hope this will help answer your question:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixa/

17. Earnings will not be taken into account if the applicant was in breach of the UK's immigration laws at the time those earnings were made.

While on student visa you cannot work full / or take a position of full time worker hence home office will not consider money earned while you were on Student visa. On contrary one of my friend applied for Tier 1 General and his visa approved he was working while being on a Student visa though in between he did switch it to IGS before switching to Tier 1 General.

psw2009
Member of Standing

non-term time

Post by psw2009 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:37 am

thank you very much guys for your help.
the internship was in non-term time though i was doing the dissertation but the day i started my internship all the modules where finished so i can say that it was non-term time however i was doing the dissertation kindly also note currently i am on psw visa
please let me have your comments know.

Best Regards,

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Re: non-term time

Post by cheshiregoan » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:41 pm

psw2009 wrote:thank you very much guys for your help.
the internship was in non-term time though i was doing the dissertation but the day i started my internship all the modules where finished so i can say that it was non-term time however i was doing the dissertation kindly also note currently i am on psw visa
please let me have your comments know.

Best Regards,
First read this on Page 14 and 15:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

If you think you can meet those criteria then, you need to be very convincing in your Tier 1 (G) cover letter and have all the additional back up ready to explain that you were working during non-term time only. Get letters from both your University and the company. Be very clear in explaining that your internship was legally permitted under the terms of your student visa.

I would still seek the advice of a solicitor if I were you, because ultimately on this forum we are all people who have obtained the visas/work permits in the past. Very few (if any) are trained Immigration Lawyers who know every letter and loophole of the law.

Hope you meet the criteria!
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

vip
Newly Registered

Re: should i apply before rule changes in jan-2010

Post by vip » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:14 pm

psw2009 wrote:Hi Guys,

Best Regards,
I heard that HO has changed the rule that earnings during study periods under student visa will NOT be taken into account for Tier 1 General. Does anyone know this change and confirm it please? Thank you.

psw2009
Member of Standing

my problem solved is it?

Post by psw2009 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:39 am

the reason i was in rush to apply for tier 1 general immediately after receiving the post study work visa because i thought changes going to begun as law after jan-2010 based on the following news but after reading it carefuly i came to know that home office will introduce changes in jan2010 but these changes will become law later please let me have your comments as well that changes which home office will introduce in jan2010 will only information for applicants but it will become law later

Changes to the law on citizenship - information for applicants

10 September 2009

The UK Border Agency recently announced changes to British nationality law under the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009. These changes, which we described in a news story on 3 August, will be commenced by January 2010.

You should not make an application on the basis of these changes until they have become law. If you apply before then and you do not meet the current requirements for registration, we will not be able to register you - you should wait until an announcement is made on this website that the changes have come into force.

When the changes have become law, we will make application forms and guidance notes available. Until then, the current versions of the forms and guides MN1, B(OS) and UKM remain valid.