ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Earnings from private freelance work

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

quaiquai
Newly Registered

Earnings from private freelance work

Post by quaiquai » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:39 pm

I'm scrounging to come up with the minimum salary history that I need to get enough points in the PBS for the Tier-1.

To make the cutoff I have to include some freelance work that I did for a private person. I was paid several thousand dollars (I'm American) to do some photo editing for a private person (not a company)

I have the cheques deposited in my account for the exact amounts and I can get a letter from the woman who hired me but since it's not from a company and not on company letterhead will it count as earnings?

It seems pretty open on the Home Office website as to what can be considered earnings. It says "earnings from self-employment" and "earnings from business activities" count.

How can I make this freelance payment count toward earnings?

Please help!

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Re: Earnings from private freelance work

Post by cheshiregoan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:51 pm

quaiquai wrote:I'm scrounging to come up with the minimum salary history that I need to get enough points in the PBS for the Tier-1.

To make the cutoff I have to include some freelance work that I did for a private person. I was paid several thousand dollars (I'm American) to do some photo editing for a private person (not a company)

I have the cheques deposited in my account for the exact amounts and I can get a letter from the woman who hired me but since it's not from a company and not on company letterhead will it count as earnings?

It seems pretty open on the Home Office website as to what can be considered earnings. It says "earnings from self-employment" and "earnings from business activities" count.

How can I make this freelance payment count toward earnings?

Please help!
Unfortunately the rules do not explicitly mention that a letter from an individual is acceptable.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... searnings/

Check the above link out as it mentions the different supporting evidences that can be provided.

You could hire an accountant to certify your earnings as a freelancer or alternatively if you are claiming points for an entire tax year, you could show your tax documents to prove this income along with your bank statements.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

quaiquai
Newly Registered

Post by quaiquai » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks. Since it was only a few months ago I can't get any tax information for it since I won't file until the spring.

I'm going to get a letter from an accountant saying this is my earnings and this is what I WILL file.

Is that what they mean by letter from an accountant? What else could the accountant say?

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:03 pm

quaiquai wrote:Thanks. Since it was only a few months ago I can't get any tax information for it since I won't file until the spring.

I'm going to get a letter from an accountant saying this is my earnings and this is what I WILL file.

Is that what they mean by letter from an accountant? What else could the accountant say?
Well check the following links:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... ymentsumm/

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... ccountant/

It basically needs to include your Gross Pay, the amount of tax paid (or to be paid if tax is paid once a year), Net Pay, Date of payment and Source.

quaiquai
Newly Registered

Post by quaiquai » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:09 pm

Great, thanks for the links. Does anyone have a sample letter of what the accountant should prepare? I'm sure they'll know but just in case.

Does every single payment have to be listed individually? My income is from a combination of two part time jobs and one freelance job so I have about 4 deposits a month from 3 different sources. (one bi-monthly pay, one monthly pay, and random freelance deposits)

Does the accountant have to list the date, amount and source of every single deposit or is it just a listing of the year's accumulated gross income for each employment source?

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:10 pm

quaiquai wrote:Great, thanks for the links. Does anyone have a sample letter of what the accountant should prepare? I'm sure they'll know but just in case.

Does every single payment have to be listed individually? My income is from a combination of two part time jobs and one freelance job so I have about 4 deposits a month from 3 different sources. (one bi-monthly pay, one monthly pay, and random freelance deposits)

Does the accountant have to list the date, amount and source of every single deposit or is it just a listing of the year's accumulated gross income for each employment source?
Since the link mentions date of payment, I would imagine you would need to list every single entry.

As for a format, I'm sorry cant help you, perhaps someone else has had a similar experience.

paperwork

details are helpful

Post by paperwork » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:13 pm

I was in similar situation.
HEre is what I did.

1. Had letters from almost all my clients stating the invoices raised by me payments made to me and the tax deducted by the client.. the dates of payments.

2. list of all the payments received by me with details of bank deposited in and the cheques received from.

3. A letter from CA stating the gross total income received from clients and the estimated expenses incurred to come to the net income. Since i was submitting my papers before filing my tax returns.

4. The bank statement showing the details of the payment received.

Hope all this helps.

Cheers!