ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lloyds TSB debit card for payment

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Lloyds TSB debit card for payment

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:01 am

Hi Forum,

This is a day of shocks. First the news about the new form, and now I have heard that LLoyds tsb debit cards are known to be problematic when used for application fee payment for Tier1 extension.

Well I was planning to apply tomorrow and have mentioned my lloyds tsb debit card details for payment. Are there people on the forum who have successfully paid the fees through lloyds tsb debit cards? What did you do to make sure the bank does not block the transaction?

Lloyds tsb also have a security feature called "ClickSafe" which asks me for more passwordish information when i shop online in addition to the numbers on the card. Normally it is a good feature, but in this case I am afraid it might be an additional complication.

People who have been through this do share your experiences. Pardon the long post.

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Re: Lloyds TSB debit card for payment

Post by crowbar6 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:16 am

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Hi Forum,

This is a day of shocks. First the news about the new form, and now I have heard that LLoyds tsb debit cards are known to be problematic when used for application fee payment for Tier1 extension.

Well I was planning to apply tomorrow and have mentioned my lloyds tsb debit card details for payment. Are there people on the forum who have successfully paid the fees through lloyds tsb debit cards? What did you do to make sure the bank does not block the transaction?

Lloyds tsb also have a security feature called "ClickSafe" which asks me for more passwordish information when i shop online in addition to the numbers on the card. Normally it is a good feature, but in this case I am afraid it might be an additional complication.

People who have been through this do share your experiences. Pardon the long post.
HO will execute the transaction in 'Cardholder not present' mode rather than 'online'. Thus 'ClickSafe' does not come into the picture. You can use your Lloyds TSB debit card but please call your bank before posting the application and tell them that you expect a transaction of £820 (or whatever fees you have to pay) by Home Office to hit the account and they should let it through. This willl ensure that it is not accidentally blocked.
Regards,
crowbar6

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:24 am

Thanks Crowbar.

Yes I think I am going to go to the bank personally and request the same in writing and then give them a couple of calls later to make sure my request has been registered in the system.

Its difficult to not be paranoid about this :)

Regards

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:53 am

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Thanks Crowbar.

Yes I think I am going to go to the bank personally and request the same in writing and then give them a couple of calls later to make sure my request has been registered in the system.

Its difficult to not be paranoid about this :)

Regards
Good stuff. The bank may not give you a letter in writing so don't get annoyed if they don't issue one. Just let them know in person at the branch or by phone banking about a transaction that is going to hit the account and they shouldn't block it.

This is standard procedure and I'm sure your payment will go through :)
Regards,
crowbar6

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks Crowbar for the optimism, its in scarcity nowadays:).

Yes let me go do my best at the bank:)

cheers

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:04 am

though I am with Alliance & Leicester but I will still ring them and let them know in advance.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:21 am

Just back from the bank. They say the branch does not have any say in what gets blocked and directed me to their fraud prevention cell.

On speaking to them, they told me this funny thing that they cannot do anything till something gets blocked, and then they can unblock it. Its ridiculous.

Now I can either take the risk and go with it, or play safe and go for a much slower and expensive bank draft option.

Calling on members who have had this problem of payment being blocked:

1) When do you come to know something like this has happened?
2) My bank says I can call them and they will immediately release payment, but do we have this window of time where we can do this?
3) Do all people who bank with lloyds face this problem?

Regards

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:58 am

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Just back from the bank. They say the branch does not have any say in what gets blocked and directed me to their fraud prevention cell.

On speaking to them, they told me this funny thing that they cannot do anything till something gets blocked, and then they can unblock it. Its ridiculous.

Now I can either take the risk and go with it, or play safe and go for a much slower and expensive bank draft option.

Calling on members who have had this problem of payment being blocked:

1) When do you come to know something like this has happened?
2) My bank says I can call them and they will immediately release payment, but do we have this window of time where we can do this?
3) Do all people who bank with lloyds face this problem?

Regards
This is really unfortunate and I'm disappointed with Lloyds. HO will submit the transaction and if it gets blocked by Lloyds then they will not inform you. Your application will be rejected as invalid because the payment is refused and returned to you. Even if you inform Lloyds after receiving the application back in the post, it is too late and a fresh application will have to be made. I suggest that you call your normal account team, and not the Fraud Prevention department, and tell them to allow all transactions for the next few days or the one with value equal to the application fee amount. If Lloyds does not relent, then get a friend or someone else to give you permission to use their credit card.
Regards,
crowbar6

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:07 am

i think i will end up using a credit card then pay the credit card off once payment's gone through. 8)

cadari
Newly Registered

Lloyds TSB payment rejected.

Post by cadari » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:27 am

I got back my papers on 1st of October it took 10days to come back as the Debit card payment did not go through. I applied on 21st and application reched on 22nd and Home Office tried to take the fees on 22nd.

cadari
Newly Registered

Use Secure Payment methods

Post by cadari » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:29 am

This time I will be using Bankers Draft which can be bought across the counter... safe bet.. no chances of rejection

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:31 am

Well my wife does have a credit card, but i read about similar issues with credit cards in the forum so was refraining from using it. Is it better to use a credit card instead?

This was how I was planning to deal with the problem if I use a debit card:

1) First things first, call lloyds to inform them on the impending transaction. Do this a couple of times to be sure.
2) Send the application by special delivery with a self addressed special delivery envelope enclosed.
3) If like we suspect the payment is blocked and the HO sends the application back to me. Call lloyds and ask them to release the payment.
4) Resend the app and a cover letter through special delivery. I am assuming at this point I should be OK as the payment would have been cleared already?

Contrasting this to something like using a banker's draft, I still find this iterative approach much faster (4 days on working days) with better visibility. That is if my understanding above is correct. Do confirm!!

Looking forward to hearing from the forum.

Regards

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:40 am

i paid for my initial HSMP application from same card and it went through fine. shouldn't be an issue me thinks 8)
Last edited by innocentdevil on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:47 am

Might be a little less secured environment then!
innocentdevil wrote:i paid for my initial HSMP application from same card and it went through fine. should be an issue me thinks 8)

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58 am

mvent00 wrote:Might be a little less secured environment then!
innocentdevil wrote:i paid for my initial HSMP application from same card and it went through fine. should be an issue me thinks 8)
i meant, it shouldn't be an issue but again depends from bank to bank.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:31 pm

Well my wife does have a credit card, but i read about similar issues with credit cards in the forum so was refraining from using it. Is it better to use a credit card instead?

1) First things first, call lloyds to inform them on the impending transaction. Do this a couple of times to be sure.
2) Send the application by special delivery with a self addressed special delivery envelope enclosed.
3) If like we suspect the payment is blocked and the HO sends the application back to me. Call lloyds and ask them to release the payment.
4) Resend the app and a cover letter through special delivery. I am assuming at this point I should be OK as the payment would have been cleared already?

Contrasting this to something like using a banker's draft, I still find this iterative approach much faster (4 days on working days) with better visibility. That is if my understanding above is correct. Do confirm!!

Regards

Dear forum members please comment if this will this work as I am supposing it would.

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:22 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote:

Regards

Dear forum members please comment if this will this work as I am supposing it would.
Is your wife's credit card issuer also Llyods? If yes, then go with Bankers Draft. If some other bank, then give them a call and let them know you will be using this for a high value transaction. If they agree, then proceed with credit card else a Bankers Draft.

Please note that once your application is returned as rejected by HO, you will have to send a new application with payment and only then will HO try to take payment via a second transaction. It is not that the payment will be released once you authorize Lloyds to let the transaction go through. HO will have to try to take the payment again.
Regards,
crowbar6

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks Crowbar. This is getting increasingly frustating. Why cant the HO accept payments through post office or some such mechanism. Grrr.

Anyways, along the same lines, the other issue I am facing is Lloyds is now troubling me for last month's bank statement. They seem to have sent across my statement but it might take anything from 7-10 days to arrive. I dont want to wait so long.

Is it permissible to take online print of the statement and then get it stamped by Lloyds. All my other statements are more authentic proper statements from Lloyds though, I am worried this might invalidate my application.

Sorry for the persistent queries forum members, but the process is surely not a trivial one.

Thanks

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:40 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote:This is getting increasingly frustating. Why cant the HO accept payments through post office or some such mechanism. Grrr.
I think, you are worrying unnecessarily here. 99 % time people have used Credit cards succesfully. And remember Murphy's law.

If you are so skeptic about CC, use a cheque. Then, you want faster payment. If I'm not wrong, you still have lot of time left on your current visa, why don't you use cheque ?

And I would wait for original statement send by bank to come through , before applying.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:19 pm

I agree gotcha. If anything can go wrong it will go wrong:). I am going to play safe and do everything the safe if slower way.

I was always Murphys favorite guinea pig:).

Thanks for all your inputs forum members, much appreciated.

tcpip_helper
United Kingdom

Post by tcpip_helper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:50 pm

i paid 500+ for my PSW couple of months back with my barclaycard credit card and it went fine, i always use credit card and never had any problem.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Tell you what, I paid in CASH for me and my dependents in our in-person applications. We do not feel any headache about this matter. But immigration officer, of course, she has to count them all. :lol:
nabeel_sheraz wrote:i paid 500+ for my PSW couple of months back with my barclaycard credit card and it went fine, i always use credit card and never had any problem.

tcpip_helper
United Kingdom

Post by tcpip_helper » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:20 pm

in cases when you pay by credit card and not present at the time of payment, credit card company never refuses the payment they just give you a ring to confirm the authenticity of the transaction, and as soon you confirm it the payment goes through

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Different banks/card issuers treat this matter differently. I had paid for my Tier 1 using Alliance & Leicester credit card (issued by MBNA) and there was absolutely no problem in the payment getting processed.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

nmm

Post by nmm » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:29 pm

I got same kind of response when i called Lloyds credit card then i decided to use Llyods debit card and thanks God it worked fine. The HO deducted the payment same day they received my application and there was no problem and i received the acknowledgment after 2 days.
I think there is 1% chance that your transaction be blocked by fraud prevention system but bank can't do anything about it in advance. Its only your luck!!