ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Extension help

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pranjam

Tier 1 Extension help

Post by pranjam » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi,

I got a HSMP visa in Mar 2008 and have been living in UK since. I have to get it extended on or before march 2010. Unfortunately I was forced to leave my job and consequently I am falling short of the required sum of money to earn enough points by 5k approx. I have got a job now but on my current salary I would not be able to earn enough points to get an extension.

I need some advice as to what my options are now.

One is to switch to tier 2 but

Although my new company has a CoS but the job I am doing is not on the occupation shortage list neither does it meet the resident market labour test.

Since I am already living in UK will these rules be applicable to me for switching to Tier 2 . Do I get any points for switching from HSMP to Tier 2. I would have been working for more than 6 months with my employer at the time of applying for an extension does that give me any points?

Other option is to somehow increase my earnings till that time
Is there a way I can increase my earnings by 5k. If I take a loan from my firm will that be considered a part of my earnings? A salary advance or something like that.

I do not want to lose my job and move back to India especially after trying for 5 months to get a job in UK.

Any advice will be really appreciated.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 1 Extension help

Post by mvent00 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:30 am

If your employer can give you more, a salary advance would be a reliable way to overcome the difference.
pranjam wrote:Hi,

I got a HSMP visa in Mar 2008 and have been living in UK since. I have to get it extended on or before march 2010. Unfortunately I was forced to leave my job and consequently I am falling short of the required sum of money to earn enough points by 5k approx. I have got a job now but on my current salary I would not be able to earn enough points to get an extension.

I need some advice as to what my options are now.

One is to switch to tier 2 but

Although my new company has a CoS but the job I am doing is not on the occupation shortage list neither does it meet the resident market labour test.

Since I am already living in UK will these rules be applicable to me for switching to Tier 2 . Do I get any points for switching from HSMP to Tier 2. I would have been working for more than 6 months with my employer at the time of applying for an extension does that give me any points?

Other option is to somehow increase my earnings till that time
Is there a way I can increase my earnings by 5k. If I take a loan from my firm will that be considered a part of my earnings? A salary advance or something like that.

I do not want to lose my job and move back to India especially after trying for 5 months to get a job in UK.

Any advice will be really appreciated.

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:52 am

A loan is not considered as income or earning so that is not an option.
Regards,
crowbar6

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:12 am

since one can use 12consecutive months in the last 15.. pls let us know wher u stand in here? which months/period is putting u short of 5k?

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:01 pm

If a salary advance can be considered that would be something that I can ask from my company but is there a way to be sure that salary advance is considered as earnings.

I was out of work from mid march to mid sept. so unfortunately whichever 15 months I look at it seems that this period is going to pull me down.

Can I also include my company's contribution to my pension fund as my earnings.

My total package is enough to cover my points but it contains things like 24 days leave and company pension

Will the 24 days leave considered to be earnings based on a daily rate for me

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:20 pm

pranjam wrote:If a salary advance can be considered that would be something that I can ask from my company but is there a way to be sure that salary advance is considered as earnings.

I was out of work from mid march to mid sept. so unfortunately whichever 15 months I look at it seems that this period is going to pull me down.

My total package is enough to cover my points but it contains things like 24 days leave and company pension

Bonus can be shown as earnings..

if you package amount is mentioned/equal as gross in payslip.. take that amount if it is enough .. but company pension may be not qualify..

this is little complicated case so pls take more senior's views..

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:17 pm

pranjam wrote:If a salary advance can be considered that would be something that I can ask from my company but is there a way to be sure that salary advance is considered as earnings.

Unfortunately company pension will not be counted as this is taken out of your salary before the Gross Pay stage (i.e. you are not paying any tax on this amount each month).

Holiday pay is included because you pay tax on it.

If your company gave you a "bonus" of £5000 then you can count this towards your earning limit.

See Page 22 and 23 on the following link to understand what all can be included and more importantly what all cannot be included:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 310309.pdf

A slightly more sneaky method of doing things could be registering a company and "earning" £5000-6000. If you go through an accountant, it will all be above board and he will be able to advise you the best method where "earning" this money will cost you the least amount in terms of taxes and NI payments.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:09 pm

cheshiregoan wrote:

Unfortunately company pension will not be counted as this is taken out of your salary before the Gross Pay stage (i.e. you are not paying any tax on this amount each month).

Holiday pay is included because you pay tax on it.

If your company gave you a "bonus" of £5000 then you can count this towards your earning limit.

See Page 22 and 23 on the following link to understand what all can be included and more importantly what all cannot be included:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 310309.pdf

A slightly more sneaky method of doing things could be registering a company and "earning" £5000-6000. If you go through an accountant, it will all be above board and he will be able to advise you the best method where "earning" this money will cost you the least amount in terms of taxes and NI payments.
You mean going through a limited company route and getting an accountant that might be worth while Ill just have to look for any good accountant now and explain to him the situation

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:57 pm

I am thinking of getting some external help for my extension application. Can someone suggest that based on my case should I go to an immigration lawyer or an immigration consultant

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:40 pm

open a company

do business / provide service

top up yr earning s