ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Could I get a British Passport?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tabs83
Newly Registered

Could I get a British Passport?

Post by tabs83 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi
I wonder if anyone could help me please... Ive looked all around the interent and phoned so many places and always get a different reply?
I would like to know if i could get a British Passport? (i have SAfrican one)
Im here on a 4 yr ancestrial visa which ends soon, I wasnt in the country for the whole 4 yrs (probably for about 3 yrs?)
My partner of 4 yrs is British, my son has a British passport, So do my parents and grand parents, and all my family are here living in the uk now.
Some people have said yes i can, but then others have said i need to apply for indefenate leave to remain?
Any replys would be apprieciated!!! :)
Thanks
Tabitha

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:30 pm

I think u need another ancestry visa for a year to take you to five years for ILR. After another year u can apply to naturalise and get the coveted passport!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

tabs83
Newly Registered

Post by tabs83 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:07 pm

o ok thanks for that, but when i applyed for ancestry visa it was only for 4 years at a time.. could i get the extra year?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:34 pm

my son has a British passport, So do my parents
Can you explain how your parents got their British Citizenship? In respect of each of them. Were they born British, and if so, where in the world were they born.
John

tabs83
Newly Registered

Post by tabs83 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi John

My father was born in zimbabwe, my mother was born in Zambia.
My father got his british passport threw his father which was born in Cornwall UK, then my mother got hers threw being married to my father about 19 years ago..
thanks
Tabitha

taliska

Post by taliska » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:49 pm

tabs83 wanderer is right, you just need your acestral visa extended through further leave to remain and then you can apply for ILR and then for Naturalisation you would most likely get through easilly due to your ancestry which would give you eventual citizenship. But this is the route you have to take

tabs83
Newly Registered

Post by tabs83 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:06 pm

ok thanks .. do you know how i would get that extra year? Should i just contact the place wher ei got my ancestry visa? cause i have asked them before butt hey put me in contact with nexus visas .. i think to get a whole new visa>??