ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Starting company under HSMP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rogerwaters
Newly Registered

Starting company under HSMP

Post by rogerwaters » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:53 pm

Dear Friends,
It's about to a month that I arrived in UK. I'm looking for positions/jobs in Senior Management sector. So far no success.
Can you please advise if it's ok to form a company relating to computers services etc..?
Please advise it will be ok for my FLR application in future.
Regards,
Roger

hsmphopeful

Post by hsmphopeful » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:38 pm

Roger,

I had my own one man consulting company when I moved to the UK. It's fine as long as it is indeed a bona fide business and is not a paper company- that is you will need to have clients, expenses, pay taxes etc. However be prepared to either do all the paperwork yourself - which takes time - or pay someone to do it for you...

regards

rogerwaters
Newly Registered

Post by rogerwaters » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:24 pm

Many thanks dear hsmphopeful. Now I'm bit confused. In a limited company one will have to at least 2 people. But if I start a sole trader kind of business then I will have to register the place of business and need to pay business rates tax. Any further assistance will be much appreciated. I can do the paper work and not afraid of going into business practically. Many thanks.
Regards,
Roger

hsmphopeful

Post by hsmphopeful » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:49 am

Hi Roger
These are indeed valid issues but they are all solvable - you can use services of the many corporate services providers for registered office/company secretary/etc. I used Jordans (www.jordans.co.uk) as they are an established and reputable company, although a bit pricey. for a one man consulting company you don't need to pay business rates and can basically work from home/use business centres. There are also many companies providing PA/call redirection/secretarial services... Best of luck!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:14 am

Roger, in the UK it is now possible for a private limited company (as distinct to a PLC) to have just one shareholder, just one director and the only restriction is that if there is a sole director then they cannot also be the Company Secretary .... someone else would need to be the Company Secretary.
John