ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EC's Report Sept. 2009: The UK's Delayed Issuance of RCs

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Plum70
Diamond Member

EC's Report Sept. 2009: The UK's Delayed Issuance of RCs

Post by Plum70 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:36 pm

I have not been very vocal on this site about concerted efforts to tackle the above but...

Following on from this pinned topic: http://www.ukresident.com/forums/topic/ ... -fmrs-wrs/, I have, as of today, received a further update from the EC re. the above petition (lodged in November 2008) that over 100 individuals supported and signed. Moderators, can this be pinned please?

The report reads thus:

Dear Mrs xxx,

Further to your letter I would like to inform you that the Committee on Petitions continued its examination of your petition at its meeting of the 1st and 2nd of September 2009, taking due account of the written and oral information provided by the EC, I am enclosing a copy of the EC's written reply.

Following its discussion, the committee decided to ask the EC to keep monitoring the processing of residence permits application in the UK and provide an update in due time.

3. Commision reply, for 1442/2008 received on 15th May 2009
Observations of the Commission

"...The delays in issuing residence documents are contrary to Community law, as confirmed by the ECJ... According to the UKBA's official website, in March 2009 the UK authorities were processing postal applications for registration certificates received before May 2008 and postal applications for a residence card, a permanent residence card and a document certifying permanent residence received before February 2008.

Regarding the retention of documents, as far as the applicable Community law on documents to be submitted with the application for residence permit is concerned, Articles 8(3), 8(5) and 10(2)(a) of the Directive entitles the UK to require, with the application for a residence document, the production of a valid travel document. It does not provide for originals of the presented documents to be withheld until the decision on the residence certificate/card application is taken. (bolding mine)

Member states are entitled to check that the travel documents are genuine; however, the administrative practice of withholding the original travel documents until the decision on a residence card application is taken, represents an unjustifiable obstacle to the right of EU citizens and their family members to move and reside freely, and is contrary to the Directive as those travel documents are required by Articles 4(1) and 5(1) of this Directive in order to exercise the community right to move and reside freely in the territory of another Member State.

Having, in addition received more than 100 individual complaints on this issue, the Commission contacted the UK authorities on 19th March 2009 and asked them to inform the Commission of all the measures (legislative, administrative, organisational and staff reinforcement) that will be taken to issue the complainants with the requested residence documents, to clear the backlog as soon as possible and to ensure that the obligations under Directive 2004/38/EC will be respected in the future, together with an indicative time-table.

The reply is still pending.

4. Commssion reply, received on 1st September 2009

As indicated in its previous communication on petition 1442/2008, the commission contacted the UK authorities on 19th March 2009 on the issue of residence documents and asked them to inform the Commission of all the measures (legislative, administrative, organisational and staff reinforcement) that will be taken to issue the complainants with the requested residence documents, to clear the backlog as soon as possible and to ensure that the obligations under Directive 2004/38/EC will be respected in the future, together with an indicative time-table.

The UK authorities replied on 27 May 2009. They accepted that applicants for residence documents have experienced delays in receiving decisions and recognised the seriousness of the situation. The UK authorities have put in place a comprehensive plan which is designed to see a return to the appropriate service standards, as required by Directive 2004/38/EC by December 2009. They have significantly expanded the number of caseworkers making decisions on European applications. This increase in resources, coupled with improved casework training and casework processes is, according to the UK authorities, already proving successful as the number of casework decisions having trebled from an average of approximately 500 decisions per week in February to the present of over 1500 decisions per week.

To address the problem of the return of documents in the cases at issue, the UK authorities introduced, from 1 June 2009, a dedicated e-mail address for customers requesting return of their passports for travel within 10 working days. Urgent requests for the return of passports (i.e. those less than 10 working days) will also continue to be dealt with by the UKBA Contact Centre (Tel Number 0845 0105200).

The commission will continue to monitor how the new scheme works."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am very pleased with the positive turn around time and outcome of this petition (just under 1 year) and, once again, would like to thank all supporters, signatories and contributors throughout the process. We have already begun to see faster RC processing times for fresh applications but I am not so certain that the backlog is being approached with similar vigor! Individual reports may yet disprove this.

I therefore still encourage individual feedback to the EC on this matter if one feels that the above scheme still fails to deliver, in practice, what it has been designed to do.
Last edited by Plum70 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kkk01

Post by kkk01 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:10 pm

Wow!!I think its a welcomed development albeit some of us are still waiting after 9months :(

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Ah, so that was your petition, with all those 100 signatures! Yours was discussed the very same day that my petition (anti-EEA family permit) was discussed.

I am happy something is being done. Good work!

I just wish my petition will be voted soon.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:03 am

I also note this reply seems to come some time AFTER the meeting. I have a printout of the minutes and it says nothing had been decided, as they were waiting for an answer form the Commission. Is this so or are the minutes wrong?
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:02 pm

Richard66 wrote:I also note this reply seems to come some time AFTER the meeting. I have a printout of the minutes and it says nothing had been decided, as they were waiting for an answer form the Commission. Is this so or are the minutes wrong?
Yes, a bit of a lag:
  • 1. Petition was deemed admissible on 10th Mar. 09

2. EC contacted the UK authorities on 19th Mar. 09

3. EC reply (to investigation and 1 above) received on 15th May 09

4. UK authorities replied to the EC on 27th May 09

5. EC reply (to 4 above) received on 1st Sept. 09

6. EC letter to me on 1st Oct. 09
Nonetheless a reply - and a darned good one! - eventually arrived.

smominshah
Newly Registered

i am waiting for 17 months!

Post by smominshah » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:11 pm

hi there,

i just received a letter from home office after 17 months since i sent my application, i thought may be my case worker was on joints or somethin but at last they have sent me a letter on 3rd oct 2009 asking for my wifes work documents which i will send them this week, i am so happy that at last after 17 months they have trown an eye on mycase hopefully it wudnt take more than 6 weeks now as my friend got his RC last month 6 weeks after he was contacted by the case worker.