ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language assessment- can i use masters degree

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

antonyjithu
Newly Registered

English language assessment- can i use masters degree

Post by antonyjithu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi Friends,

I am in a tricky situation. I am about to submit my application for tier 1 general net month. In Point based system, i entered my Madurai kamaraj university for the MCA degree obtained as well as BSc degree in chemistry from MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY.

For qualifiaton , i was through with my MCA(madurai kamaraj university). When coming to the english language assessment , again my masters came to my help as my BSc degree do not show up in list fetching points.

To make it sure , i got NARIC letter for master level comparison for my MCA .But when i applied for english language assessment with the MCA degree, they send back the document stating that Masters degree cannot be used for evaluation for this service ( english language assessment). So i again send my bacheors degree certificate (Bsc chemistry) and university letter again and they asessed and stated that my Bsc degree is equavalent to CEFR level C1 that i think state that my BSc is taught in english.

But while filling application, i saw that the degree send for language assessment should be equavalent to British Batchelors.

Now i am in big confusion that which certificate to be placed in language assessment section. As MCA shows to qualified in PBS, my preference was to place it but the communicatn between naric as tey states that for englich language assessment they need Bachelors getting me confused.

I would like to have your advice to make a decsion over this as i am going to submt application by nex month?

can i use the MCA for langage assessment also or o i need to reach NARIC again for checking my bachelors is equavalant to british bachelors?

please help me...

Regards,

Antony

mvent00
Diamond Member

Re: English language assessment- can i use masters degree

Post by mvent00 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:02 pm

antonyjithu wrote:Hi Friends,

I am in a tricky situation. I am about to submit my application for tier 1 general net month. In Point based system, i entered my Madurai kamaraj university for the MCA degree obtained as well as BSc degree in chemistry from MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY.

For qualifiaton , i was through with my MCA(madurai kamaraj university). When coming to the english language assessment , again my masters came to my help as my BSc degree do not show up in list fetching points.

If your masters degree gives you English language points in PBS calculator you do not need any additional proof. Only this degree is enough for securing 10 points in English language requirement section.

Quote from Guidance:
188. Where the degree was taken in another country we will always assess it using the points based calculator on our website. The calculator contains information from UK NARIC on whether overseas qualifications are equivalent to United Kingdom Bachelors level or higher.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 310309.pdf page 33 of 44

To make it sure , i got NARIC letter for master level comparison for my MCA .But when i applied for english language assessment with the MCA degree, they send back the document stating that Masters degree cannot be used for evaluation for this service ( english language assessment). So i again send my bacheors degree certificate (Bsc chemistry) and university letter again and they asessed and stated that my Bsc degree is equavalent to CEFR level C1 that i think state that my BSc is taught in english.

But while filling application, i saw that the degree send for language assessment should be equavalent to British Batchelors.

Now i am in big confusion that which certificate to be placed in language assessment section. As MCA shows to qualified in PBS, my preference was to place it but the communicatn between naric as tey states that for englich language assessment they need Bachelors getting me confused.

I would like to have your advice to make a decsion over this as i am going to submt application by nex month?

can i use the MCA for langage assessment also or o i need to reach NARIC again for checking my bachelors is equavalant to british bachelors?
If your masters degree gives you English language points in PBS calculator you do not need any additional proof. Only this degree is enough for securing 10 points in English language requirement section.

Quote from Guidance:
188. Where the degree was taken in another country we will always assess it using the points based calculator on our website. The calculator contains information from UK NARIC on whether overseas qualifications are equivalent to United Kingdom Bachelors level or higher.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 310309.pdf page 33 of 44

please help me...

Regards,

Antony

antonyjithu
Newly Registered

Re: English language assessment- can i use masters degree

Post by antonyjithu » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:21 pm

thanks Friend ....

- Antony

gaia
Newly Registered

is masters degree enough with new regulations ?

Post by gaia » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:44 pm

i am biased on the answer. i have a master degree that pbs recognizes and gives 10 points for english eligiblity. So i was thinking that would be enough wo IELTS.
Rigth now they have changed the forms recently.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... sappendix1
In section 6 it mentions ""

"The degree must be deemed by UK NARIC to be equivalent to a UK Bachelors degree or above. See Tier 1 (General) Policy Guidance"

Ok that is still fine since it mentions above.
But when you come to confirmation only option you have is
"The points-based calculator shows the degree is equivalent to a UK bachelors degree and that the degree was taught in English to a
standard at level C1 of CEFR."

That i interpret is masters degree is not eligible. Inthe preiovus form there was not this check box. very recent.

what do you think ? i can apply or not depending just on that, since there is no time for ielts any more.