ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PRIVATE MEDICAL INSURANCE

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:55 pm

My wife and I applied for ILR, EEA3 & 4 under self sufficiency cause am the only one that works. My wife depends on me and my job pays very good. We also have an 18 month old Son. Does anyone know if the NHS card we used could be a hindrance because I just read this from another post. Its been 2 months we applied and we received the certificate of application after 2 weeks and nothing since then.
Please advice me. Or should We sign up a private medical insurance and forward it to UKBA[/b]

jude

Post by jude » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:52 pm

self employer u need full medical Insurance. If you have not got on it would be better to do it now before the ask it
hallo

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:26 pm

jude wrote:self employer u need full medical Insurance. If you have not got on it would be better to do it now before the ask it
We have signed up for a full family private Healthcare cover today.
So do we forward the Documentation to UKBA with our Reference Number as soon as we receive them or do we wait for them to ask for it?
PLS SOMEONE SHOULD ADVICE ME.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:02 pm

My wife and I applied for ILR, EEA3 & 4 under self sufficiency cause am the only one that works. My wife depends on me and my job pays very good.
Firstly you are not applying for ILR. You are applying for PR, its EU-route equivalent.

But also you mention self-sufficiency but then you go on to mention your job. So which is it? Are you employed? Self-employed? Or what?

Who is the EEA citizen? You? Your wife?
John

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:31 pm

John wrote:
My wife and I applied for ILR, EEA3 & 4 under self sufficiency cause am the only one that works. My wife depends on me and my job pays very good.
Firstly you are not applying for ILR. You are applying for PR, its EU-route equivalent.

But also you mention self-sufficiency but then you go on to mention your job. So which is it? Are you employed? Self-employed? Or what?

Who is the EEA citizen? You? Your wife?
I am employed but my wife is not. I am Non-EU and my Wife is EU but she depends on me. I dont know if I should call it self sufficiency. But when we applied for our PR we stated she depends on my income. But we included NHS cards and not private so I was wondering if we did the right thing.

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:35 pm

However, we do not receive any sort of fund from the State as classified in UKBA web site at Public Funds.

kashyme

Post by kashyme » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:05 pm

jude wrote:self employer u need full medical Insurance. If you have not got on it would be better to do it now before the ask it
Cityboy didn`t said SELF EMPLOYED , he applied on self sufficient basis.

Secondly self employed people don`t need a private insurance but they have to provide tax returns, proof of NI contributions and tax payment , invoices , receipts etc .

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:32 pm

could someone please tell me if this cover( the family lifestyle package) below makes up for comprehensive sickness insurance specified by UKBA
https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/ins ... :12ntf0lqs

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:35 am

As far as I am aware of insurance companies in the UK do not offer CSI equivalent to NHS. Insurance policies are typically top-up only, i.e. they assume that your basic medial needs are covered by NHS (and NHS covers everyone they consider as "ordinarily" resident in the UK...). The example you link to looks like such a top-up policy.

So far it seems unclear what HO would accept and they do not seem to have any guidelines anywhere. In principle, it should also be possible to be covered by a foreign (at least EU) insurance company provided they pay out in the UK.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: PRIVATE MEDICAL INSURANCE

Post by MPH80 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:05 pm

cityboy wrote:could someone please tell me if this cover( the family lifestyle package) below makes up for comprehensive sickness insurance specified by UKBA
https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/ins ... :12ntf0lqs
No - this cover is to provide you with income should you fall sick - it won't pay for the medical treatment.

From the right hand side of this page - the UKBA definition is:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... documents/
Comprehensive sickness insurance

Insurance that will pay for any medical treatment required in the United Kingdom by someone who is not entitled to treatment from the National Health Service. You may have to show you have this insurance in order to be allowed to live in the United Kingdom.
So that package won't do it - because it doesn't cover illness - it simply provides cover for loss of income in terms of sickness - and your income would probably not cover any cost of treatment.

M.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Have a look at BUPA.

javadp
Newly Registered

Post by javadp » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:23 pm

I have read somewhere on UKBA website that using NHS does not class as using public funds.

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Wait a min ! I get the picture. My wife has this for ages and I have this cover as well. We hold this in Germany and carry the plastic about, it is called 'Teckniker Krankenkasse -Europaische Krankenversicherungskarte' translated to English as Teckniker health insurance company- European Health insurance.
My wife pays heavily for it and it covers the whole of Europe. Does anyone know about this ????
Please I need your comments.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:45 pm

The European medical insurance only covers temporary travel and resident in another member state. It will not cover you if your wife is permanently resident in the UK.

It just ensures that people who are on temporary stay in another member state, don't have to cut short their stay, because of ill health.

You mentioned that your wife pays NI contribution and files tax returns for her business. Can you provide information on whether this is ongoing.

If it is, she might be exempted from medical insurance.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:58 pm

Rereading the original message I realise that this is for an application for PR which means that you were (possibly) not covered in the past.

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:08 pm

My wife said its a private Health insurance Cover in Germany, There are many Private Health insurance Companies in Germany and You chose what you want. However, correct me if am wrong ! We just remembered this cause someone just posted it could be taken abroad at least in EU.

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:14 pm

Obie wrote:The European medical insurance only covers temporary travel and resident in another member state. It will not cover you if your wife is permanently resident in the UK.

It just ensures that people who are on temporary stay in another member state, don't have to cut short their stay, because of ill health.

You mentioned that your wife pays NI contribution and files tax returns for her business. Can you provide information on whether this is ongoing.

If it is, she might be exempted from medical insurance.
Yes the NI contribution is still ongoing but the Biz has failed and has no income but It doesn't cover the Five years period,covers only last three years.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:15 pm

cityboy wrote:My wife said its a private Health insurance Cover in Germany, There are many Private Health insurance Companies in Germany and You chose what you want. However, correct me if am wrong ! We just remembered this cause someone just posted it could be taken abroad at least in EU.
Are you still paying for it?

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Sure by Direct Debit, They take there money from our Bank Account Monthly

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:22 pm

cityboy wrote:Sure by Direct Debit, They take there money from our Bank Account Monthly
So you still have cover. Now you have to make sure that they would indeed cover you while being resident in another country to the necessary extent.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:25 pm

But if it is this one then it is indeed just an EHIC. Why does your wife still pay for this insurance?

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:26 pm

86ti wrote:
cityboy wrote:Sure by Direct Debit, They take there money from our Bank Account Monthly
So you still have cover. Now you have to make sure that they would indeed cover you while being resident in another country to the necessary extent.
Will try to investigate on the extent of the Cover.
Thanks

cityboy
Newly Registered

Post by cityboy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:48 pm

86ti wrote:
I will try to investigate on the extent of the cover. You never know what the HO could come up with... like they always do.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 pm

City boy, if your wife has been paying NI contribution for the last 3 year, then she is fine, and would not need Private health insurance, even if the business is not successful. If you have evidence of this, just keep it safe, as it will help you in the long run.

If they are trying to be hard, they might ask for health insurance covering the first 2 years when she was considered self-sufficient. You can then try you chances with the European Health Insurance you mentioned. Although i suspect it will not cover her for the purpose of long term resident in another member state.

You best chances are the last three years tax returns and evidence she has been paying NI contributions.

I am about 90% sure you will be fine with that.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors