ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is my right as a UK Residence Card Holder

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jyde
Newly Registered

Post by jyde » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:10 pm

My wife is a Polish citizen and we have a two year son who is also a Polish passport holder, i am from outside the EU state but I have a just gotten my 5 years residence card in the UK. Ever since we have been in the UK, we have never claimed as sorts of benefit or tax credit from the government because we were advised by an immigration lawyer not take anything from the govenment because we need to show that we can live without depending on the government otherwise, my residency would be affected.. Can someone advise me on what we can benefit since we both have been working in the UK, since we moved into the country 2years ago.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:24 pm

Sack your lawyer.

Article 24 of EU Directive 2004/38/EC requires that equal treatment is afforded to a citizen of the Union and his / her family members, when resident in accordance with the provisions of the Directive.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:50 pm

At least Child Benefits and possibly Child (CTC) and Working Tax Credits (WTC) depending on your income. The limits for WTC (£16.000 combined but not sure) are rather low but maybe you can get WTC (< £56.000 combined but not sure either).

jyde
Newly Registered

Post by jyde » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:50 am

Thanks guys , really greatful for the answers

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:55 pm

I agree that your lawyer is giving you advice that does not smell right based on what you said.

You are not allowed to be cronically reliant on the government, but you can get housing benefit and a number of other things and it has no impact on your or your spouses residence in the UK.