ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa: Support and Finances Question, among others

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

allpeopleunite
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa: Support and Finances Question, among others

Post by allpeopleunite » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Basic information:

Nationality: United States Citizen
Immigration Status in the UK: Visitor

I am currently planning on applying for a spouse visa as the husband of my partner who is a British citizen. We will be married in the United States in February and will apply from the States shortly after. I have several queries:

Firstly, regarding support and accomodation:

I see a problem. Neither of us are currently employed. My wife is a student and receives incomes support due to disability. I have over 4 000 pounds in my bank account, i have read that one is usually judged based on the income support level in the UK, which is 200 pounds per month for an individual. I figure that having 4 000 pounds savings is more than enough to satisfy this requirement for 6 months until i can secure employment in the UK.

In the Immigration Directorate guidelines it states that the sponsor receiving benefits is not in itself a barrier to a visa application, as long as the applicants presence in the UK will not increase the claim (mine would not).

As for accomodation, we seem to meet that requirement as we live in a rented one bed flat.

I also receive support from my family, as does she, which the guidelines state is not allowed to be considered when judging the finances of an applicant and their sponsor. Is that true?

Secondly:

Will the fact that we will be applying shortly after our marriage takes place look suspect to them

Thirdly:

I have heard that people have gotten a decision within a day with an appointment at the British Consulate in New York, is that true, as there is nowhere on the website where one can find this information or book an appointment (except for those applying under Tier 4).

Thankyou in advance for any information that may be provided, and I apologise if these questions have been asked before, I have perused and searched the forums, but these questions seem to not have been answered.

andyb123

Post by andyb123 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:21 pm

usually they won't accept savings only, my other half had a tourist visa refused on the basis that I wasn't in work at the time even though we only planned to come back to the UK for 2 weeks and I had £20,000 in my savings at the time, they still said I hadn't provided proof I could support us both without recourse to public funds because I was unemployed (deliberately so as I had plenty of savings and fancied a year off work)

the application process assumes that the sponsor will support the applicant upon their arrival, if you had a job offer already lined up they may take this in to consideration, but bearing in mind that the job situation is not great in the UK at the moment...

secondly;
applying right after marriage shouldn't be a huge problem, but they do seem to have a 6 month cut off where if can't prove you met each other at least 6 months ago they get funny.

thirdly;
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/processingtimes

New York does seem to be quite quick, 34% at 5 days and 70% at 15 days
but given your circumstances it could well take the full 3 months for them to say no

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Five figure savings usually get you through, otherwise they will want to see regular income from employment.

You will need to show you have £105 a week surplus income after all neccessities ie rent, utilities, council tax etc.

You should also check if having savings as a couple will affect her benefits, I think under 6k aren't counted but better to check.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....