ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can you help please?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

britishrick
Newly Registered

can you help please?

Post by britishrick » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:19 pm

hi, i am a british citizen and my wife to be is bulgarian. once we are married my (then) wife will apply for her blue registration card, giving her full access to the uk labour market. as she is bulgarian she is unable to claim "Public Funds". my question is once we are married will this change?? i mean for example if we were to start a family would we be entitled to child benefit, local housing allowance etc etc and in the worst case scenario job seekers allowance?? im just wondering regarding the rules and requirements if she/we were to claim??

Thanks

NiyaVatkova
Newly Registered

Post by NiyaVatkova » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Bulgarian nationals who are working in authorised work,and in your wife's case have a blue card, are able to claim benefits to which they are entitled such as housing benefit, council tax benefit, working tax credit and child benefit. Benefit can be paid as soon as they take up work. However, if they become unemployed before first completing 12 months of authorised work they lose their entitlement to benefit.