ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Wife & Egyptian Husband Wanna Live In GIBRALTAR

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

claire_dean
Newly Registered

British Wife & Egyptian Husband Wanna Live In GIBRALTAR

Post by claire_dean » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:21 am

Hi everyone my name is claire it's my first time here so be gentle with me :wink:

I am a brit and I married a egyptian guy :D Now we both made plans and after months of discussion's we decided we want to live in Gibraltar. It is a beautiful place with stunning view's and a very small community there and it seems like a perfect and ideal location for people like me and my husband :)

currently we are residing in egypt and I wanted to know how can i bring my husband to Gibraltar once I get there? what do i need to do? show? how long will it take for him to be with me in Gibraltar? help! :? also would I have same rights as a Gibralterian (if that's a word) since I am british? I done some little research on gibraltar and it is practically like mini britain "so to speak" and I wanted know will i have same rights as a gibralterian citizen or i will I be just some random migrant to the country?
someone please helpp meeee i really need some serious advise I really dont have a clue :(

bartongib
Newly Registered

Post by bartongib » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi Claire.

Your rights in Gibraltar will be in line with that laid out by EU law. We are all meant to have the same rights but I can assure you that the locals get just that little extra. If you are planning to apply for british citizen ship for your husband you will need to be resident in Gib for 5 years then file your application then sit and wait a very long time some times up to 10 years!!
If you go by the Expat ladder it goes something like this. Gibraterians first, Spanish second, Other Eu , Morrocans and the brits at the bottom. Or at least this is how it allways appears. It is remember only a british colony they have the right to make there own laws with out interference from the UK. It is like a mini Britian but if you cant get in to Spain which I assume your husband cant with out a Schengen Visa It does become rather stadid. If you need a Schengen visa at present and live in Gib you need to apply to the spanish embassy in london your husband has to appear in person. So it does become expensive.
In regards to living here it is a pleasent climate. though you will the cost of living fairly high. A recent survey placed Morrisons our only supermarket on average 54% higher than those in the UK. expect to pay £100 per month for water and elec. Rents for accomadation start from around £ 600 for a studio.

bartongib
Newly Registered

Post by bartongib » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Further to my mail your husband will need a visa to get full details I suggest the UK embassy near you. They do all the leg work for Gibraltar but Gib normally has its own stay on who they let in. If you are ging to work you will have no probs your husband will need a work permit. You will not be a Gibralterian citizen. That can be applied for after 25 years of residence.

I would suggest both coming together if I was you, it will be easier and give you less hassle at the end of the day. Hope this helps
Nigel

Infanta
Newly Registered

Post by Infanta » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi All!
I am a resident in Gibraltar for 2 years already. My husband is Irish and residing there for about 10 years. Does anybody knows when I will be able to apply for a passport?
It has been a nightmare for us during these 2 years in getting any sort of visa to travel to another EU country as there are NO embassies in Gib issuing visas (the only visa you can get there is the UK visa) so for other countries is either going to London or sending BOTH of our passports for God knows how long.
Anyway, I also thought they would issue me an EU Fam residence card which would (and should) help me travel visa free to Spain (provided I am with my husband) but all I got is a "visa waiver" stamp in my passport saying I don;t need a visa when returning to Gib, a Gib ID, that is only valid in Gib and a small piece of paper where in HANDWRITING it says that I am a spouse of a EU citizen and permitted to reside in Gib until xx.xx.xx. We tried to use this "residence card" a few times when traveling,but the immigration officers in Spain, Austria and Hungary just laughed at it, saying it is not a proper format, they can't accept it, so every time we were able to convince them to let us through only using our marriage cert (that I always bring with me everywhere now).
Most problems gives a frontier between Spain and Gib as they just hate everything that has to do with Gib as if it is our fault!
When I asked in the passport and card issuing office why I haven't got a proper EU fam residence card, according to the EU law, they simply said they don't have a machine that prints those cards!
if anybody has any info on Gibraltar, please share!