ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long to wait for naturalization after iLr

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

freelancer
Newly Registered

How long to wait for naturalization after iLr

Post by freelancer » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:21 am

Hello

I just got my iLr after a long 5year wait

How long must I wait for naturalization?

I applied on 14yrs law.

taliska

Post by taliska » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:20 am

You have to 12 months free from immigration restriction so you can apply in 12 months after being ganted ILR.
You should read the topis to deal with British Citizenship(aka naturalisation) as this is answered previously, so do have a look around first

freelancer
Newly Registered

Post by freelancer » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:58 pm

taliska wrote:You have to 12 months free from immigration restriction so you can apply in 12 months after being ganted ILR.
You should read the topis to deal with British Citizenship(aka naturalisation) as this is answered previously, so do have a look around first
But on there website it saying 5 years in the Uk and also 12months after that?

taliska

Post by taliska » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:58 pm

freelancer wrote:
taliska wrote:You have to 12 months free from immigration restriction so you can apply in 12 months after being ganted ILR.
But on there website it saying 5 years in the Uk and also 12months after that?
Yes so you won't be able to apply till next year which makes 6 years in total,
5 years to get ILR and then
1 year after getting ILR you can apply for naturalisation because you are FREE FROM IMMIGRATION RESTRICTION only after getting ILR

the below is from the ukba website:
Residential requirements
To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:

â– have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
â– have been present in the United Kingdom five years before the date of your application; and
â– have not spent more than 450 days outside the United Kingdom during the five year period; and
â– have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
â– have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the five-year period.
but also this:
Immigration time restrictions
You must be free from immigration time restrictions when you make your naturalisation application. Unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period.

If you are free from immigration time restrictions then there is usually a stamp or sticker in your passport saying that you have indefinite leave to enter or remain or no time limit on your stay. But you may have a letter from the Home Office saying that you are free from immigration conditions. See The documents we require for naturalisation applications for details of how to prove you are free from immigration time restrictions.

There is discretion to allow applications from people who do not meet this requirement. For details of how we apply discretion, you should read the page on discretion to regard immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months.
see the website
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... uirements/

vinny

Re: How long to wait for naturalization after iLr

Post by vinny » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:09 am

freelancer wrote:Hello

I just got my iLr after a long 5year wait

How long must I wait for naturalization?

I applied on 14yrs law.
Also:
Standard requirements for naturalisation wrote:Breach of immigration laws during residential qualifying period

You must have been in the United Kingdom legally throughout the residential qualifying period. We may refuse your naturalisation application if you have breached the immigration laws during the residential qualifying period.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:06 am

freelancer, your question is actually quite technical. You need to be "legal" in the UK in the 5-year period up to the date you apply for Naturalisation (unless you are married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen, in which case 3 year qualifying period,)

So that begs the question, did you only become "legal" when you got your ILR, or were you "legal" before that.

freelancer, could you please go into some detail about your UK immigration history. Only by proffering that information can anyone give an opinion about when you became "legal".
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:13 am

Of course, if you made the application before your leave had expired, then your leave is treated as continuing.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Vinny, a 14-year application was made, which means that for at least part of the 14-year period he/she was an "illegal".

So I think we need to wait and see what details are posted about the UK immigration history, before we can give an informed comment about when a Naturalisation application might be possible.
John

freelancer
Newly Registered

Post by freelancer » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:35 am

John wrote:Vinny, a 14-year application was made, which means that for at least part of the 14-year period he/she was an "illegal".

So I think we need to wait and see what details are posted about the UK immigration history, before we can give an informed comment about when a Naturalisation application might be possible.
I was legally in UK for 9years up till the APPLICATION, with varing visas but then we applied for iLr before it expired but the decision took 5 years so we changed it to 14years application.

and HO said to carry on working until they decide.

thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:29 am

If those are the facts then it looks like you have been "legal" throughout, and thus you should be able to apply for Naturalisation as soon as you have had ILR for one year.

Except, maybe sooner! The 14-year application. When was that submitted?
John

keshgrover
Member of Standing

Post by keshgrover » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:46 pm

John wrote:If those are the facts then it looks like you have been "legal" throughout, and thus you should be able to apply for Naturalisation as soon as you have had ILR for one year.

Except, maybe sooner! The 14-year application. When was that submitted?
John, I have left couple of PM's for you for some help. I was wondering if you could kindly reply to them for me please.
KESH

Elias222
Newly Registered

Same situation. Please help....

Post by Elias222 » Sun May 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi Keshgrover

I came across your post and found that I am in exactly the same position as you. I would appreciate it if you can let me know if you ever got an answer to you question.

Cheers
Elias

nedo
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by nedo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:55 pm

hello
can i apply for naturalisation in case my wife gets British passport after my ILR or do i have to wait to complete 1 year period as i can see in rules if ur spouse is british than you can apply for naturalization without the wait for 1 year

thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 pm

nedo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:55 pm
hello
can i apply for naturalisation in case my wife gets British passport after my ILR or do i have to wait to complete 1 year period as i can see in rules if ur spouse is british than you can apply for naturalization without the wait for 1 year

thanks
This must be a record! You have tagged your question onto an inactive thread which is 8 years old :!: Please continue in your own topic where you are already being given advice.
british-citizenship/nationalzation-t249 ... l#p1598944
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.