ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Tier4 dependent visa- help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

meredith1331
Newly Registered

Student Tier4 dependent visa- help

Post by meredith1331 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:49 pm

I am an American with a Student Tier 4 visa currently getting a masters degree full time. I was married in April in Morocco, my husband is moroccan. Can we separate in the UK, if so, can we divorce and what will the consequences be?
Last edited by meredith1331 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:39 pm

If he has threatened you then step 1 would be getting a safe distance away from this person .

With the fact you mention you have supported this man with money and ran up huge debts i would guess his only 2 interests are a visa and money . This guy sounds like his is trying to control you by the use of fear .

My mother lived most of her life with mental abuse and violence , as i child i also got a bitter taste of this ..... the main thing is your safety , make sure you are safe and any children you may have , if you feel his threats could end up in violence then i would look to get away from him . If that is the case (depending on which area you are from ) if you google womens refuge and include your area you may find info on places that will offer you a roof to live under in safety for free .

I am no immigration expert so will leave advice on that to others who are in the know .

Good luck and be safe :(

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:42 pm

I was married in April in Morocco, my husband is moroccan. I thought he would change when we got here- he hasn't
Men do not change deep down . Marrying and expectinga person to change is not a good idea :( .

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:51 pm

You need to ascertain firstly, whether he has an anger problem , which could be dealt with through therapy, or whether he is simply a violent and abusive person , who is only in a relationship with you because of the benefits.

If the case involves the later, i will suggest you get the police involved, as domestic Violence is a Criminal offense, and get the court to impose a non-Molestation order, which would essentially ban him from within 100metres from you resident.

Next, you will need to file in for a divorce, as you are both domicile in the UK. The grounds could be unreasonable behaviour.

Nextly you would need to notify the Home office that you no longer support his application and that he is not dependant on you any longer.

Have a look at this website and see if they can be of help to you.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

meredith1331
Newly Registered

clarification

Post by meredith1331 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:30 am

I do honestly believe it is anger management issues to the point that he has admitted he is "sick." However every time he agrees to go to counseling he backs out. For example the last time he followed me out of the house a week ago and I refused to go back home since he had been threatening to destroy the room and wakeup the housemates, he grabbed my coat and started almostfoaming, bloodshot eyes, neck pulsing, and said "You are going back in the house." It scared me half to death. I started screaming and trying to get away from him, he kept telling me "you're my wife go back in the house." and I started kicking at him scratching at him, anything to get him to let go of me as he stated pulling me towards the house. That night he calmed down and agreed to see a counselor, later the next day he said that I was the abusive one and told me he was going to the UK police to show them the scratces on his arms from my nails and that I needed to see an anger managment counselor not him. I don't know what to do at this point but I am nervous. So I can file for a divorce in the UK even if I got married in Morocco?

meats
BANNED

Re: clarification

Post by meats » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:48 am

meredith1331 wrote:I do honestly believe it is anger management issues to the point that he has admitted he is "sick." However every time he agrees to go to counseling he backs out. For example the last time he followed me out of the house a week ago and I refused to go back home since he had been threatening to destroy the room and wakeup the housemates, he grabbed my coat and started almostfoaming, bloodshot eyes, neck pulsing, and said "You are going back in the house." It scared me half to death. I started screaming and trying to get away from him, he kept telling me "you're my wife go back in the house." and I started kicking at him scratching at him, anything to get him to let go of me as he stated pulling me towards the house. That night he calmed down and agreed to see a counselor, later the next day he said that I was the abusive one and told me he was going to the UK police to show them the scratces on his arms from my nails and that I needed to see an anger managment counselor not him. I don't know what to do at this point but I am nervous. So I can file for a divorce in the UK even if I got married in Morocco?
Report him to the police for starters, you can file for divorce in the UK yes. It appears that your 'husband' is using you purely for a visa.