ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependant of a work permit holder turning 18?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Eavan
Newly Registered

Dependant of a work permit holder turning 18?

Post by Eavan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:41 am

My sisters friend is in Ireland as the dependant of a work permit holder. Its his mother who has the work permit. She's been here for 6 years.

He's been here for 4 years and has a stamp 2 since he's in school (6th year).

The problem is he turns 18 in March and his stamp 2 won't be valid once he finishes school. He won't be going on to college either. We're trying to look into what he can do to stay but there doesn't seem to be anything for him.

The only options I can find are to go to college which he can't afford.

Get a work permit in his own right, but no one is going to give a work permit to a 18 year old with nothing but a leaving cert.

Is he honestly going to have to leave the country while the rest of his family stays and settles?

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:46 am

Hi there,
When in doubt contact INIS or workpermits department. Either ways this is what i find on citizensinformation website :
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... rk_permits

If you applied for your work permit before 1 June 2009 your spouse and dependants aged under 18 may apply for a spousal/dependant work permit (pdf) once they are legally resident in Ireland on the basis of being your spouse or dependant. If you applied for a work permit after 1 June 2009, they are not eligible to apply for a spousal/dependant work permit but may apply for a work permit in their own right. They may require visas to come to Ireland (see 'Visas' above) and there are INIS guidelines about family reunification for workers.

Since your friend has work permit before 1 June 2009, her dependent will still get spousal/dependent workpermit.

Apart from studies, dependent workpermit is the only other option.
If dependent cant do some major course, can enroll into some language course and work part time.. thats another option. Same time learn another language that might help in future.

Hope that helps
Tiggs

Eavan
Newly Registered

Post by Eavan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks for your reply.

We actually have been in touch with INIS and the GNIB but basically keep getting different answers.

INIS gave us info about work permits but like I said the odds of him getting work are very low. He has to have an offer of a job before he applies for the permit but even McDonalds isn't hiring round here, even part time work is impossible to get. I'll be harder for him because he's never worked before there's no way he'll have a job lined up in time for when he leaves school. He can try that route but realistically I don't see it happening.

His mother had been in touch with the GNIB about the situation but she keeps getting contradictory answers.

She was told that she could apply for stamp 3 once the kids (she has 2 younger children) had been in Ireland for 5 years
Then she was told that the kids cant have stamp 3 as long as they're in school, they can only have stamp 2.
Then she was told to apply for stamp 3 for them as soon as they finish school, of course this no use to him because you need 5 years residency to apply and by the time his stamp 2 runs out he'll only have 4 years 7 months.

Extending his stamp 2 by doing some sort of course isn't really an option for him either because he has no money to pay fees. His mother isn't willing to help with that, she doesn't believe in it (she believes if you want further education you should earn yourself like). Also if he did manage to get the money for some cheap course would he not be left in the same predicament once it ended?

It really seems to me that the way we have our system set up they don't want people on work permits bringing their family. At the very least they make it very hard for the family to stay. Its cracked. :evil: