ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advise appreciated with my 'unmarried partner' visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xy
Newly Registered

Advise appreciated with my 'unmarried partner' visa

Post by xy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:15 am

I was a failed asylum seeker living illegally in the UK for about 8 years (entry to the UK was legal). I was in a relationship with someone who was then a foreign student, but subsequently got citizenship (10 years as a student, ILR and then citizenship).

We applied for unmarried partner status from the UK, but after about 18months of the application being in the system we were forced to withdraw the application due to poor health of my partners mom and we came back to my country (in june of this year). While we were there I made a fresh application and within 2 months I was granted a spousal visa for 2 years.

Our problem is that now my partner’s mom has taken a turn for the worse and she cannot leave her for what looks like a good 12 more months (possibly longer). Our solicitor (in the UK) wants us to at least come asap and get our visa’s stamped as he feels this is important even if we can’t start living there immediately.

If we were to start living there after a year or so into my 2 year probationary period, would that be a problem as I would clearly have to request an extension? Or are there any other options available to us?

Due to my past immigration history, I don’t want to blow this opportunity as I’m not sure how easy it would be if I were to have to apply all over again after two years.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.