ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married to a French National, wants to go and study in UK

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rob7dan
Newly Registered

Married to a French National, wants to go and study in UK

Post by rob7dan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi Guys,

I’m Sri Lankan, married to a French National ( she was Sri Lankan before ) she got her French nationality in 2008. after living in france for 11 years. We got married in 2008 2 months after she got her nationality. Anyway Now I’m in France joined with my Wife. and I obtained my temporary 6 months resident card in France.
My Questions are

I Want to go and study in UK and do my Masters Degree
( I have studied in UK before and got my BA(hons ) from a UK UNI )
Can i apply from the UK embassy in France and travel to UK and commence my Masters Degree?

Can I bring my French wife to UK with me ? Can she work ? Can we settle down in UK in long run ?

your advice will really help me.

Thank in advance,

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:43 pm

rob7dan, I think you are looking at this from totally the wrong angle, and that is liable to cause confusion.

Firstly, is your French wife willing to move to the UK? And if she is, what would she do here? Would she be employed? Self-employed? A Student? Or what?

That is, if she comes to the UK, how would she exercise her Treaty Rights?

Now if she is willing to move to the UK and intends to exercise her Treaty Rights here, you can apply for an EEA Family Permit (in Paris) and also move to the UK. As long as she is exercising her Treaty Rights, then you will have those same Treaty Rights, including the right to be a student in the UK.

But if your wife is not willing to move to the UK and start exercising Treaty Rights here, then you would need to apply for a Tier 4 visa, just like any other potential student wanting to study in the UK. That is, if your wife is going to stay in France, her French nationality is no assistance to you as regards your endeavour to study in the UK. Except being legally living in France, you would be able to apply for your Tier 4 visa in Paris.

A couple of other points, just for possible clarification :-
  • Your wife being French has full ability to travel to the UK, and of course does not need a visa to do that
  • It appears to me that you will still be classed as an Overseas Student and will be required to pay the Overseas Fees, as you no doubt did when studying in the UK previously.
[/quote]
John

rob7dan
Newly Registered

Post by rob7dan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:03 pm

HI John ,

thanks for the quick reply and for your advice, yes she likes to go to UK and work in there. and i know this is another way of going to study in UK, by sending my wife prior and me going after that. am i right ? is this possible?
how can i travel to UK if this is the methord i want to go ?
can i travel by using my recident card ? I have no clue ! sorry i think i need your advice on this too . thanks dose she needs to apply from uk asking me in UK to live with her ? can i travel freely to UK like my wife since iam married to a EU national without visa ? how dose this work ?

thanks

rob7dan
Newly Registered

Post by rob7dan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:06 pm

dose she needs to get the premenent recideny before asking me ?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:22 pm

As long as your wife intends to go to the UK to exercise her Treaty Rights as a Worker .... an employed person .... that permits you to apply for your EEA Family Permit ... at a Visa Application Centres in Paris, Marseille or Bordeaux. Have a read of this webpage. Also read this webpage about online application. Remember you are not applying for a spouse visa under UK immigration law. Instead you are applying for an EEA Family Permit. The application fee is €0 ! Yes, free! Thanks to EU regulations.

Just to clarify, your wife does not need to travel to the UK first, or to start work in the UK, before you apply for your EEA Family Permit. Although if she wants to do that, there is nothing to stop her going first either.
John

rob7dan
Newly Registered

Post by rob7dan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:07 am

HI Jhon,

Thanks for your help and advice.