ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long is ILR valid?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

happyratty
Newly Registered

How long is ILR valid?

Post by happyratty » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm

I am on a marriage visa and about to apply for ILR. Ive noticed that on the website it says that to apply for citizenship you have to be in the UK for 3 years. DOes this mean I need to apply for citizenship next year. Or how long can I live here on an ILR before HAVE to get Citizenship? And whats the difference between the 2 anyways?

Thanks,
Lily :wink:

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:29 pm

ILR is indefinite.

There is no compulsion to apply for naturalisation.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

z.yas
Newly Registered

Re: How long is ILR valid?

Post by z.yas » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:33 pm

happyratty wrote:I am on a marriage visa and about to apply for ILR. Ive noticed that on the website it says that to apply for citizenship you have to be in the UK for 3 years. DOes this mean I need to apply for citizenship next year. Or how long can I live here on an ILR before HAVE to get Citizenship? And whats the difference between the 2 anyways?

Thanks,
Lily :wink:
ILR is Indefinite Leave in the UK, but not British Citizen / Passport.

Citizenship is through naturalisation after ILR, and then you could apply for British Passport.

I guess ILR could be revoked if you remain outside the UK for 2 years or more... experts can confirm the precise timelines though.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:02 pm

ILR at present is at it implies...Indefinate. However, as you've been advised, if you were to leave the UK for more than 2 years, you'd lose your ILR.
At present, with ILR there is no obligation to apply for British Citizenship. However, when Probationary Citizenship replaces ILR in July 2011 (intended date), after 5 years on Probationary Citizenship you would be expected to apply for BC or leave the UK....unless exempt if your country of birth disallows dual citizenship.
If I'm wrong on the new regulations I'm sure someone will help me out here. :roll:

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:28 pm

Casa wrote:ILR at present is at it implies...Indefinate. However, as you've been advised, if you were to leave the UK for more than 2 years, you'd lose your ILR.
At present, with ILR there is no obligation to apply for British Citizenship. However, when Probationary Citizenship replaces ILR in July 2011 (intended date), after 5 years on Probationary Citizenship you would be expected to apply for BC or leave the UK....unless exempt if your country of birth disallows dual citizenship.
If I'm wrong on the new regulations I'm sure someone will help me out here. :roll:
In which case I believe you wil have to apply for permanent residency.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:56 am

That's my understand too DJB..thanks.

stevec
Newly Registered

Post by stevec » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:54 am

Casa wrote:ILR at present is at it implies...Indefinate. However, as you've been advised, if you were to leave the UK for more than 2 years, you'd lose your ILR.
Is this applicable to All ILR's that are issued after this date or does this include ILR's issued before this date?